furniture wood identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steliz

Camberwell Carrot
Reaction score
I know it's difficult to ID wood types from photos, especially low quality ones but if anyone can offer any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• chest of drawers.jpg
    chest of drawers.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 147
  • wardrobe.jpg
    wardrobe.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 147
I think it's a special sort of extra thin wood, called "veneer."

Seriously though, it's going to be difficult to be definite about it. I'd guess that they date to late 40s or early 50s when postwar shortages meant that all sorts of "empire" woods were imported and sold under trade names unrelated to their botanical names. Even if you could identify it, I don't expect you could find the same wood again.

OK, thanks Andy.

It's definitely 50's but I haven't seen it in the flesh myself, just some photos on a popular internet sale site.

I was hoping I might be able to 'repurpose' the wood.

Steve

In my experience, unless the polished veneer bits are exactly what you need, the most useful parts will be the drawer sides and backs, which will be solid wood of a useful size. Unfortunately, the tall chest of drawers has veneered ply sides, where an older piece would have had some nice solid boards. The wardrobe doors (and maybe the sides) are probably blockboard under the veneer.

If I had to guess I would go for cherry but very low confidence from those pictures

OK thanks. I'll give it a miss then, seems like too much effort for little reward.

I had to get house clearers in a few years ago.

In one bedroom were wooden cabinets very much like yours, in immaculate condition. They had been there 65+ years.

In another bedroom there were white flat pack cabinets, a bit naff.

The house clearers smashed up the wooden cabinets and carefully carried out the flat pack stuff. Apparently, they
could sell that on!

PS with paint & a bit of imagination, or was it just the wood you wanted to use?

Geoff,

I was just trying to find some nice wood to play with.

Steve

Not to my taste, but there look to be some usefully sized panels on all the pieces. If they are indeed veneered on to blockboard, you'd have ultra-stable material that with a bit of ingenuity could make something nice in the furniture line

Back