Friction Polish on turned bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoman76

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been hobby turning for quite a few years now and have always used friction polish as a finish with no problems.

Recently I have been struggling with it, it seems to be drying and leaving ridges of dried polish which I then have to sand back. I haven't changed my technique at all, only thing I can think is the polish has gone off ? It is the original bottle ? Does it have a shelf life or am I missing something ?

Your advise is welcome !

David

Sounds like the dilution factor has reduced resulting in more rapid build, try adding some Meth' to the next lot you use.

If the friction polish is mainly shellac it should have a definite shelf life or best-before date but the usual problem wouldn't be with it setting too quickly, rather the reverse. With shellac finishes that have aged the usual malady is they can stay sticky for an hour or more and remain tack-sensitive for days or even weeks.

With finishes like this the stuff remaining in the container does tend to get stronger over a long time of use as the solvent has a chance to evaporate every time the container is opened, and particularly if left uncapped for a few minutes each time it's used. So the occasional top up as CHJ suggests is often advisable.

Back