Free Small Lazy Susan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
Take a ‘dead’ hard drive out of a computer, plenty to be found at your local rubbish tip etc.
HD1.jpg

Remove the lid and base to expose the inner workings.
Carefully remove the disc and bearing.
HD2.jpg

You should end up with a three inch, precision bearing and disc, ideal for use as a Lazy Susan for use in a variety of woodworking projects etc that require small Lazy Susan’s.
HD3.jpg

Ingenious recycling!

Should get a neodynium (?sp, rare earth anyway) magnet as well.

come on then, some project examples... oh and what would you use a neodynium magnet for?

Great for feather boards on CI table tops, parking extraction hoses etc.

Noel

Not really a woodwork project....but it is another use for the magnets.

I scrapped a pair of old disk drives and taped the magnets to the oil filter on the landrover. In theory it should help to trap any metal fragments that might be small enough to pass through the filter. When you change the filter and pull the magnets off the bits should stay in the filter. No idea if it makes a difference - but it cost nothing to try.

Just though of another one - I used another disk drive magnet to drag a screw behind some plasterboard. Attached to the screw was a string, that attached to the alarm cable I was trying to route. The magnet was more than strong enough to get a good "grip" on the screw and drag it along reliably from the other side of the board.

Ed

Back