forum users favourite tools: marking and measuring tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my dovetail marker

Dovetailmarker.jpg

The cutouts were made with a router, using a slow speed, and the perspex screwed to a sacrificial piece of MDF. The fence is Rosewood.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I have limited tools, but the Incra rule set that I bought are brilliant.

Attachments

• ruleset_main.jpg
    ruleset_main.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,451
This marking gauge was based on an old marking gauge that Rob (Woodbloke) saw in Pennyfarthing Tools

Markinggauge3.jpg

It is very easy to adjust, one-handed, with just light thumb pressure on the wedge. The reason why it can be adjusted so easily is because of the small saddle which fits between the stem and the wedge

Markinggauge2.jpg

The effect of the saddle is to spread the pressure from the wedge in two directions. A very simple but very effective design.

It's so easy to use that it's the one I use most.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Here's my Bridge City Tools Works Square in Cocobola and Brass:

square1.jpg

Actually I finished it this afternoon.

Rod

Harbo":1v7haepy said:
Here's my Bridge City Tools Works Square in Cocobola and Brass:

square1.jpg

Actually I finished it this afternoon.

Rod

I saw that on Wednesday, unfinished and it still looked good...looks even better now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - Rob

My recent SS gift prompted me to re-activate this thread. So here are my most used measuring and marking tools. There is some duplication - the Japanese marker is now replaced by my very fine SS marking knife, but I include it because I had used it a lot and they are a bargain at around £10 (Axminster).
mark1.jpg

1] The Rolson 4" square - I have raved about this before. Under a tenner and my most-used square. (The second most-used is a 6" engineers square). Very well cast, machined, marked etc. It did benefit from a very light tune to the groove in rule so it ran more smoothly, but it's perfect for joints and much furniture-scale work. Note the small filed vee-nicks in the end of the rule - takes a pencil point so becomes a very handy marker too.
2] The Japanese marking knife (now supersceded by my fab SS). Again, around a tenner. The perfect blade form for me - goes left, right, flat for paring. I have a collection of failures - from Marples to Sabatier - this is (was) the one.
3] My amazing SS marking knife - the blade form I like best, made lovely. Light to hold, easier to handle than the Japanese one... perfect. Note the maker's initials on blade, and it was post-marked Southampton I recall. :wink:
mark2.jpg

4] A basic point-awl (no expert on awls - it's the flat square section so it cuts into the material better than a plain point). A pretty spalted holly handle. Job done. Use it first every time.
5] A cheapo stainless 6" steel rule (metric one side, imperial the other). Don't recall the make but again it's the first I reach for.

I found it took me years to decide what tools to put away, forget about. And it's only been by using these a lot that I have learned what I do and don't need.
And thanks to my SS - truly a bang-on gift for me.

[One more thing - Rod's 'Bridge City' square... stunning, want one, can't face the idea of trying to make one.]

Attachments

• mark1.jpg
    mark1.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 1,103
  • mark2.jpg
    mark2.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 1,086

Latest posts

Back