forum users favourite tools: mallets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my third go at wood turning

Carversmallet8.jpg

It was made on paulm's lathe and with his guidance.

It started off looking like this

Bowlingball.jpg

Drilling the hole for the Ash handle

Carversmallet1.jpg

Made up a wooden chuck to fit in the hole

Carversmallet2.jpg

Nearly there

Carversmallet3.jpg

Very satisfying to make and really nice in use.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I finally got hold of a couple of wooden bowling bowls for myself on ebay last week and turned up a long overdue lignum vitae mallet for myself, ala Paul C's one (was gutted when he didn't leave his here at the end of the day :lol: ). Pic's to follow at the weekend now the danish oil has dried. Might try and make a couple of smaller tapometers from the second ball :-k

Cheers, Paul

This is my mallet, not made by me but by Jim (Jimi43)

DSC_0642.JPG

DSC_0621.JPG

I started life as a bowls ball for the head and a wych elm tree for the handle.

I love it.

Mick

Attachments

• DSC_0642.JPG
    DSC_0642.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,370
  • DSC_0621.JPG
    DSC_0621.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,369
this is my favourite mallet

P1010496.jpg

i made this at college, its got an oak handle :roll: and bubinga head. its not great the oak makes my hands black and the way i turned it made the handle quite uncomfortable.

but i have a feeling this is to replaced with something much nicer in the near future :wink:

adidat

Perfectly weighted, beautiful to hold and functions exactly as it should. When its sat on the bench there is an overwhelming desire to pick it up and use it.

4128561909_f5ca2a465a.jpg

4129322508_f7f514c0e1.jpg

Ed

some lovely pieces in this section. I have just got a couple of LV lawn bowls off fleabay. Anybody fancy swapping the 2nd of these in return for turning the first into a mallet for me?

paulm":29gol4wl said:
I finally got hold of a couple of wooden bowling bowls for myself on ebay last week and turned up a long overdue lignum vitae mallet for myself, ala Paul C's one (was gutted when he didn't leave his here at the end of the day :lol: ). Pic's to follow at the weekend now the danish oil has dried. Might try and make a couple of smaller tapometers from the second ball :-k

Cheers, Paul

Turned this one 2 or 3 weeks ago but just got round to taking the camera out to the workshop !

Lignum vitae head, the second as yet unused bowling bowl is beside it, oak handle, and a walnut wedge. Finished with a few coats of danish oil.

There were a good few cracks in this one, but nothing massive and a little superglue here and there should hopefully stop them worsening.

DSCN0562_01.jpg

DSCN0567_01.jpg

DSCN0565_01.jpg

DSCN0564_01.jpg

Wondering if I'll be able to get a couple of smaller versions out of the remaining ball......

Cheers, Paul

adidat":2e6mrwrq said:
this is my favourite mallet

P1010496.jpg

adidat

Now thats what I call a mallet.
Maybe its the photo but it looks about two feet long!

Reminds me of the one on the wall at the college I used to go to. it was nicknamed 'The Persuader', and kept for those special occasions
when things just didn't go right. :lol:

Ric

Back