Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Charley, CHJ, Noel

By Droogs
The USA officially adopted the metric system in 1975 by Act of Congress.

I am very much stuck in the middle as I use metric (mm) for up to 1.5m, feet out to around 100' then meters and Km if I am walking the distance and miles if driving and I can't visualize any of them the other way round.
By ScaredyCat
owen wrote:There's no need to be measuring anything with vernier calipers in woodworking, that kind of accuracy is just not needed.

As a newcomer to woodworking, it took me a very, very long time to understand this and even longer to accept it. I wish someone had said something to me a lot earlier as it would have saved me a lot of time desperately trying to get it bang on, exact every time.

By Yojevol
I was wondering whether the material being drilled could be having any effect so I did a little test.
The bit is an Ax own brand nominal 26mm dia.
Actual Dia - 25.93 at the business end, tapering to 24.8 for clearance
In MDF drilled hole measured 26.03mm
In pine 26.14 along the grain, 26.06 across the grain
In oak 26.05 in both directions
In ply 26.06 in both directions

So it seems the hardness of the wood may have some effect.

I've had trouble drilling 5mm holes in ply with a lip & spur drill. I've needed a 5mm brass rod to slide in but it's been a really tight fit. I've had to redrill with a 5.2mm drill. I think it's down to the compressibility of the ply causing the hole to shrink once the drill is withdrawn.
Brian
By AndyT
Thanks Brian. I thought I remembered something similar when using dowels but was a bit hazy on the details.