folding workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daft1druid

Reaction score
I want to make a folding/collapsible workbench, as I am limited for space, and don't have a shed. I was going to use 18mm marine ply, but as I am slightly incapacitated, an 8 x 4 sheet of this would be too heavy. I want the table to be approximately 6 ft x 3 ft. Could anyone suggest something that would be lighter, but still solid enough to do work on? Thanks in advance for any help.

Buy an older Workmate from eBay. Or the modern day Bosch equivalent. It's a compromise obviously. Stability is key really.

+1 for torsion box style design. I made a couple with 9mm ply recently 18mm battens glued in between - very basic but completely rigid and lightweight for 1.3m x 0.60m

2 cheap workmates with a board over the top makes a for a surprisingly sturdy work table and very versatile as you can use the workmates in other setups as well. Much better than the classic suggestion of a pair of saw horses.

Rorschach":29ty84j4 said:
2 cheap workmates with a board over the top makes a for a surprisingly sturdy work table and very versatile as you can use the workmates in other setups as well. Much better than the classic suggestion of a pair of saw horses.

This is exactly what I am using at the moment. It's was supposed to be a temporary measure; testing the usefulness of a table set up rather than a bench (along the lines of an MFT). It is indeed surprisingly stable.

matt":3a0dgmlf said:
Rorschach":3a0dgmlf said:

This is exactly what I am using at the moment. It's was supposed to be a temporary measure; testing the usefulness of a table set up rather than a bench (along the lines of an MFT). It is indeed surprisingly stable.

I plan to use this to make an MFT style setup, but I am waiting to see what Peter Millard comes up with first to see if it gives me any extra ideas.

Depends what type of work you want to do, but I made myself a Paul Sellers workbench - one of the reasons being that it's easy to collapse and and re-assemble it (takes about 5 mins either way). I couldn't be happier with it.

I made myself a couple of folding worktables and have been using them for the last 6 years without a problem. They easily fold up on theirselves and can be stored behind the door if I need the space.

Mine are a 1000 x 600 but you can make them in any size you want really. They even slot directly into the boot of the car.

Up and folded

Raymond UK":a91fz9sb said:
I made myself a couple of folding worktables and have been using them for the last 6 years without a problem. They easily fold up on theirselves and can be stored behind the door if I need the space.

Mine are a 1000 x 600 but you can make them in any size you want really. They even slot directly into the boot of the car.

Up and folded

Hi

Looks like these pack away very nearly, do you have any plans for how to make these?

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

More just an idea of how the folding mechanism works. If you had time for a brief sketch and a few photos that would be appreciated

Thanks

Ewan

my bench is around 5 x 3 foot because of space limitations, I'd highly recommend making the newest version of the sellers bench as it's able to be taken down via wedges and coach bolts, the version I've made can't be taken apart.

daft1druid":383mcpue said:
I want to make a folding/collapsible workbench, as I am limited for space, and don't have a shed. I was going to use 18mm marine ply, but as I am slightly incapacitated, an 8 x 4 sheet of this would be too heavy. I want the table to be approximately 6 ft x 3 ft. Could anyone suggest something that would be lighter, but still solid enough to do work on? Thanks in advance for any help.
You can scale this down to a size that suits.
Building the Paulk Workbench
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt77_jugVZs
http://www.paulkhomes.com/order-plans.html

The current issue of watercraft magazine has something similar on page 46 with 3 CNC files for cutting the parts for the bench. don't see the files on their website yet though

https://watercraft-magazine.com/

Ewan

Back