fold down shelf/worktop help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
hello folks

space in my workshop is very limited- but i occasionally need a workbench to put things on and to use for carving and pyrograph work.the worktop area only needs to be 2' front to back by maybe 3' wide
I was thinking of using a fold down shelf/worktop - can anyone recommend a way that i can support the shelf but also allow it to be folded down easily?
would these hinges help? and if so does anyone know a u.k supplier of them?

Hey there, how robust do you need it to be?
I picked up a fold down table a while ago in a boot sale, I changed my plans so it's surplus and you're welcome to it if you'd like to see if it'll work for you.
It's quite sturdy and with a very minor mod would prob be bomber,
Not sure of the size but it's roughly what you're looking for, you could always use the hindges and support and change the top.
I was told it was from Ikea so it may be in their catalogue, I don't have one, I'll have a look on their website.
Let me know,
T

thanks neilo- they look like they'll do the job

Thanks for the offer teo but i'm looking to have the shelf high up like a bar so that i can stand and work at it

You are describing my own meagre workbench.

Too dark for a picture but :-

Top is about 1200mm wide x 600mm deep.
Long edge is hinged to a batten bolted to garage wall with 75mm butts organised to hinge upwards.
Front support is a simple 'n' - shaped frame hinged to underside.
The front frame rests on the underside of the top when in use.
As the 'bench' is folded up against the wall the legs fall flat against the underside.
The legs have been sufficiently solid when resting on the garage floor, which is fairly rough.
The bench is held out of the way by a turn buckle.

For carving, and to ease my back sometimes, I have another similar arragement towards one end. This comprises a piece of 200mm x 50mm x 550mm, short end hinged to garage with a vice at the other end, drop down legs sit on the lower bench, directly over the leg frame, for support. This shorter bench has a height which is a couple of inches lower than my elbow. I can carve, and do smaller woodwork tasks in the vice and use the lower bench for storage, sharpening etc.

I should point out that the batten for the lower bench is deep enough to allow clearance for the higher bench when stored.

It is sometimes a bind to have to clear away at the end of a day woodworking....but the bench is always clean when I go to use it.

HTH

xy

4176402968_3b56f61938.jpg

Play around with the position of the hinges so it all folds flat against the wall. (The butt hinges for the legs aren't in the correct position as shown here, if you want to fold the legs inwards). Substantial fixings needed for anchoring to the wall.

srp":g9q7oqi2 said:
4176402968_3b56f61938.jpg

Play around with the position of the hinges so it all folds flat against the wall. (The butt hinges for the legs aren't in the correct position as shown here, if you want to fold the legs inwards). Substantial fixings needed for anchoring to the wall.

Possibly better to hinge the legs off the underside of the work surface.
As shown, in order to fold the legs away the floor must be clear. Something that is certainly unusual in my workshop!

Bob

9fingers":38tk9tr7 said:
Possibly better to hinge the legs off the underside of the work surface.
As shown, in order to fold the legs away the floor must be clear. Something that is certainly unusual in my workshop!

Bob

That's precisely why my solution had to have the bench fold upwards, but then I don't have cupboards, or shelves in the way.

xy

Back