flip top bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Marcel inspired me to build something similar for my SCMS a few yeas ago the offset is so that the workbench section is the same height as the SCMS bed.

https://youtu.be/nz-I1SPO4BI

P8283291.JPG

P8283296.JPG

Attachments

• P8283291.JPG
    P8283291.JPG
    775.1 KB · Views: 187
  • P8283296.JPG
    P8283296.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 187
Wow, those are tight jeans. Not seen anything like that since Nineteen Seventy-Something... Oh sorry, got distracted for a sec.

A very enjoyable build, set at a good level for a newbie. Not sure about nail-gunning toward one's self like that, though... Is that not dangerous?

A great idea, especially with the outfeed rollers.
About the only thing I'd change is perhaps using sprung catches of some kind instead of those removable holding pins, as you'd have both hands flipping the heavy machines and less chance of slipping.

Tasky":nqmrsxwv said:
About the only thing I'd change is perhaps using sprung catches of some kind instead of those removable holding pins, as you'd have both hands flipping the heavy machines and less chance of slipping.
An interesting point that is actually a non issue.

After taking out the locking pin/pins on my own one (it has no counterbalancing tool) I have both hands free to rotate the top and my (rather much heavier than her tools) 12" SCMS, once the tool or work top is virtually horizontal it is close to stable so little effort is needed freeing up one hand to put the locking pin in place.
You can see from her video that the same is true in her case even with the very off centre grinder, so a simple and effective method.

Then you have the catch idea, I can think of a few ways that it could be implemented though all of them would have to be a custom design and much more complex to fit.

When I built my own, about 7 or 8 years ago, I had a similar idea but having rotated the top quite a few times over the years and found how easily it stays in place even without the pins I've never bothered to change it.

It would be a very different case if the machine/machines were off centre by a lot.

If you really want a demonstration I can flip my top a few times and make a short video then pop it on to YouTube, just ask and your wish will be fulfilled.

sometimewoodworker":3fjfkhcw said:
once the tool or work top is virtually horizontal it is close to stable so little effort is needed freeing up one hand to put the locking pin in place.
I'm sure that is how it generally works for most people, and that 99 times out of 100 it'd be fine. But knowing what my own hands are like, that one time it isn't and a slightly sweaty hand slips, or something... It'd certainly hit something on its way back down!

You'll see me wandering around the local Axminster, talking to the freshfaced newbies - "I used to be a woodworker like you... then I took a lunchbox thicknesser in the knee"...!!

Tasky":3k1vwblq said:
sometimewoodworker":3k1vwblq said:
once the tool or work top is virtually horizontal it is close to stable so little effort is needed freeing up one hand to put the locking pin in place.
I'm sure that is how it generally works for most people, and that 99 times out of 100 it'd be fine. But knowing what my own hands are like, that one time it isn't and a slightly sweaty hand slips, or something... It'd certainly hit something on its way back down!

In the interests of full disclosure, I have to say that I almost never switch back to the worksurface now. When I was packing up my workshop two or three times a year I would switch it back at least 6 or 8 times a year.

So as a test I've just done the flip and during the rotation until it was about 10 degrees off the horizontal there was a definite tendency to flip and 2 hands were useful though not essential. But once 10 degrees or less I didn't need to hold it at all, so the locking pins just serve to stop it going slightly off the horizontal and prevent accidental knocks pushing it far enough to flip.

So I think that your sweaty hands would be no danger :D

Having now watched the video it's quite obvious that product placement has a significant impact on the construction. So while is good for inspiration or someone who needs a step by step guide there are certainly methods that would be better.

Now it's stated clearly that it is paid for by Ridgid Power Tools though I rather strongly suspect that Kreg, DeWalt, and Milwaukee are also giving tools if not cash as well

A point that demonstrates this very clearly is she obviously doesn't have a glue sponsor so while she mentioned a dry fit she doesn't show the glue up process and the Titebond bottle is a drive by. :tool:

That said it's a fun project and a good addition to the woodwork sphere not least because of the gender of the builder.

sometimewoodworker":2yuizad5 said:
So I think that your sweaty hands would be no danger :D
Less about the sweat, more about odd angles and the sudden searing pain from having broken them over the years, really. Like I said, I'm sure it's fine for most people, but I prefer being overcautious... especially with the expensive stuff!

Back