flaming foamy poly!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
I need some help! using foam brushes with some water based poly, but I keep getting servere "bubbles" when I apply it.

This causes the coat to dry VERY rough, I even get a "foam" in corners.

any ideas? SOMEBODY must know what I`m doing wrong!

cheers

steve

Hi Steve

Not sure why you're getting this problem, we usually promote the Foam Brushes to cut down the amount of frothing!

Couple of questions to ask...

Are you charging the brush well with the poly? The more there is on the brush, the less air there can be which might help cut down on the bubbles.

Are you over-brushing (I'm sure you're not but I'm struggling for suggestions!). This could introduce air into the process and cause bubbles.

Did you shake the tin of poly before use? This can sometimes cause bubbles, although not to the extent you are describing.

Do you get the same effect using a bristle brush or a cloth?

Let me know and I'll put my thinking cap back on!

Good luck

terry:

cheers for the suggestions, it would seem that possibly I`m not charging the foam brush with enough poly and that I AM over brushing.

I take it from your post that i should REALLY load up the brush before applying the poly? and try not to over-brush?

cheers

steve

Hi Steve

The simple answer to your questions is 'yes'!

There is obviously a fine line between putting too much on the brush and not enough, it's something you will come to recognise, but hopefully these suggestions will set you on the right track.

Again, good luck and let me know how you get on!

update - cheers for the advice, I managed some superb results last night!

I found that the container I was using was too small (jam jar) so as I was pull the brush out, I was airating the poly.

I changed to using a litre can and hey presto what a difference, I nearly don`t have to rub it down...................

not over brushing also helps ALOT

cheers

steve

After my 1st attempt with poly glue on a brush I now use slivers of wood like flat ice lolly sticks.
Apply to one piece of wood using the stick to spread the glue then fit as normal.
When repairing a small coffee table where the joint came apart I used the poly the same way and found the foam much easier to remove because the table was waxed and the poly wouldn't stick to the finished legs and rails.
A slice with a stanley knife removed all traces of foam from the joints.
A few minutes work and the mend can not be seen even when you know it's there.

Back