First live edge bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
It's cedar, very wet and turned to about 1/2 inch thickness. The plan's to photograph it over the days as it warps and cracks, but I'm so delighted it worked and I didn't damage myself that I'm tempted to put it in shavings and keep it til it's ready to finish properly.
_MG_7157.jpg

_MG_7158.jpg

There's plenty of tearout and I tried to sand it, but that just smudges it.
I can't get over how exciting and wonderful learning woodturning is. :)

Attachments

• _MG_7157.jpg
    _MG_7157.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 768
  • _MG_7158.jpg
    _MG_7158.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 768
Nice looking bowl.

1/2" is not a lot if it decides to move so you may not be able to remount and turn again. may just be a case of letting it move and dry possibly giving it a sand and applying a finish

Thanks Dalboy. I just measured (rather then guessing) - it's 3/4" thick, not 1/2. If I wrap it now and leave for a few months in the garage, might that be thick enough to return? If not, I quite like the thickness so could do as you suggest (sand and finish) anyway. And if so, do I need to do anything more to it before I start allowing it to dry? (The video I followed on youtube recommended glueing the line between the bark and the sapwood?)
C

Something worth considering if you intend to run glue around the bark is to apply a sealer first this will stop the glue from leaving a stain where you have applied it this is more so with dry woods

A nicer bowl indeed, have to admit i like to turn natural edged bowls, more satisfying i think.

Back