First Bandsaw: Opinion on imminent Ebay Sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
Opinion on imminent Ebay Sale (is that allowed? Sorry if it's not).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292274550591

I realise that we very recently had a thread on first bandsaws which I followed with interest. This isn't the one mentioned a few times in the thread (352) but looks interesting to newbie me.

Anyway, even if it's not I'd appreciate the critique while I train my brain on what to look out for. I was looking for those Record 350 thingumms until the post the other day.

My requirements are:
- less than £500/£600 (I'm probably going to be murdered for buying anything at all after earlier spending this year, but you know, in for a penny...)
- General DIY / hobbyist-enthusiast / resawing / eventually guitars and the odd banjo

You know what I'm already talking myself out of it based on having looked again at the ad recenrly placed in the For Sale section here. Those 352 have quite some capacity in comparison to this. I will be patient. And it will also avoid the discipline metered out by a certain someone for unauthorised credit.

Do a search on e-bay there are two Record Power 350's for sale.

Mike

For what its worth I have a Bandit (the model linked to) and it is a very nice saw indeed. My only worry on the one linked to would be the the throw away comment about new bearings, this would point to a seller refurb and if the slap all over blue paint is anything to go by the work may not be of the highest standard.

James

Jamesc":1cva5gyx said:
For what its worth I have a Bandit (the model linked to) and it is a very nice saw indeed. My only worry on the one linked to would be the the throw away comment about new bearings, this would point to a seller refurb and if the slap all over blue paint is anything to go by the work may not be of the highest standard.

James

Oh I see - that would have been the standard "Startrite green". I see what you mean now having seen the green around the edges. Damn glad I asked in here now, I really must raise my detective game when looking at Ebay photos.

DigitalM":3l0wgu1y said:
MikeJhn":3l0wgu1y said:
Do a search on e-bay there are two Record Power 350's for sale.

Mike

Hey Mike

Any idea how the Record Power 350 compares to the Startrite 352?

I am just not into old machines, but my 350 does everything I have thrown at it, re-sawing 100mm Oak into 1.5mm veneers and anything else I need to do, the only thing I don't like about Record Power Bandsaw's is the rubbing blocks for blade guides, I have addressed that lack of finess on my own saw.

Mike

EDIT: to add link: new-bandsaw-guides-from-axminster-t104943.html

Hello,

The Startrite 352 is in another class altogether. Superior saw to the Record, built like a tank and will last until the end of time. In my time, I've used on a daily basis 4 352's all over 40 years old and still working as smooth as the day they were made. They would probably cost about 10 times what the Record does, if they were made now.

Mike.

Its a bit like those that still think the MGB is a sports car and have never moved on.

Mike

woodbrains":gpmv8s69 said:
Hello,

The Startrite 352 is in another class altogether. Superior saw to the Record, built like a tank and will last until the end of time. In my time, I've used on a daily basis 4 352's all over 40 years old and still working as smooth as the day they were made. They would probably cost about 10 times what the Record does, if they were made now.

Mike.
^ This. The Startrite 352 is the bees knees. Get a good one and you’ll never regret it. All the bandsaw you’ll ever need.

MikeJhn":39t1vihr said:
Its a bit like those that still think the MGB is a sports car and have never moved on.

Mike

Hello,

I've always thought MGB's were awful! :lol:

Mike.

DigitalM":1ouz3hg9 said:
Statrite 352 seem to go for £700+ and many are three phase. Are the 301 worth considering, like this one. Or should I save up for a 352?!

I've had a 301 that I bought from someone on here, very solid machine. Again only hobby/diy use but has done everything I've asked of it, with a sharp blade of course. I've resawn oak and some walnut upto around 5" with no bother, although quite slowly! I've noticed their price seems to have crept up though recently on ebay, I think I paid under 300 for mine but regularly see them on the bay in the region of 300-450. I realise condition plays a large part but I guess more and more people are looking for the older machines now.

Good luck with your search!

I would wait and get the 352. Mine is about 35 years old,new motor bearing,drive belt and coil starter in all that time .They are very well built,if I remember rightly I paid around 700 pounds for it new and I could sell it tomorrow for a figure around about that much.Mine has been heavily used regularly cutting large lumps of green and dry wood,of course sharp blades need to be factored into your budget,I buy mine from trucut,and have always been satisfied with the quality and service they provide.

Back