Finishing outdoor furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teeman

Reaction score
Hi hopefully this is the right forum, sorry if not I’m a newbie.
I’m making some outdoor furniture from Sapele. What should I use as a finish to prolong the life? Also the bottom rails and feet will be in touch with gravel. Should I paint those surfaces with anything additional like rubber paint?
Thanks

I wouldn’t paint the feet with rubber paint, the rain will get in higher up, drain to the ends and get trapped there, rotting the wood. Stand the ends in wood preservative every year is what I do.

Fitz.

Read THIS thread

The Sapele Adirondack is still like new; left uncovered quite often :)

The ROGER M article is excellent

Thanks for the advice and links. Cant argue with a 5 year experiment.

I won’t be able to soak the feet in wood preservative as the bottom rails are flush. I guess i’ll just have to recoat each winter.

Thanks

Me again. Decided to follow advice from Rodger M and use Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 in mahogany. Has any one used this on Sapele?
Also what wood preservative would people recommend?
Thanks

Yes, I have; it's a two part treatment
Look at my link higher up

Missed that. Great. The sapele I'm using is quite dark so I may only do the 3 coats of Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 and forgo the first stain.
Did you use any wood preserving treatment first?

Teeman":199rhsmx said:
Missed that. Great. The sapele I'm using is quite dark so I may only do the 3 coats of Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 and forgo the first stain.
Did you use any wood preserving treatment first?

You should use the Sikkens Cetol HLS Plus first as a basecoat, it is like a primer/ undercoat for the Filter 7. Guess you could use the Cetol in a lighter colour if you didn't want to end up too dark.

Hi All, forgot to attach images of the finished article. The finish looked brilliant, thanks for the advice. One issue is they have been sitting raised from the gravel under a cover since the end of summer. I've noticed some marks on some of the wood. I can scratch it off with my finger nail but not entirely. Any ideas what it is or how to remove?
IMG_6993.jpeg
IMG_6857.jpg
IMG_7608D.jpg
IMG_7605.jpg
IMG_7605.jpg

I would use a product like Abranet, and lightly rub down the surface. Add a couple of coats of your original finish.

Back