Finishing after the stripper?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tasky

Established Member
Reaction score
No, not that kind of stripper, although if you know any really good ones I'm also interested...

As a surprise for someone special, I've acquired an antique/vintage/old rocking chair, which I'm told is in pine. The wood itself looks in good nick but as with many antiques, some heathen has slapped a load of that wishy-washy grey paint all over it and called it "Shabby-Chic"... obviously that pineappley nonsense needs to go...
But my time is mostly taken up looking after the needs of the chair recipient at the minute... and by the time she won't need me so much, she'll really be needing this chair instead. I also don't want it sat out in the garage workshop too long, where it might suffer in this currently variable climate.

To that end, I was planning on using Nitro-Mors to strip off the thick layers of grey stuff, mainly because it's quiet and won't need hours of sanding....
Once cleaned off, I was thinking Linseed Oil (boiled or raw?) would be a good, newb-friendly option to start with. I'm also wondering about Danish Oil or maybe walnut oil....

What are people's thoughts on this?

This is what I'll be working with:

s-l1600.jpg

Nitromors is a bit Cr*p these days to my mind. Bit like hammerite which doesnt even deserve a capital h to be honest. Pah.
This was recommended before by Mike G (I thiiiink) on a previous thread and I bookmarked it in my mindpalace. :D lol. Ok. My mindshed then.

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/bl ... from-wood/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQD1c8IjIpg

Fairwarning. I've not used it but it will be my go to next time I need a stripper that I don't have to pay by the minute.

Auto paint suppliers usually have good old fashioned paint strippers for cheap prices( 5l)
Lash it on thick leave it for 10mins. Give it another light coat and scrub in any blisters.
Scrape and use coarse wire wool to remove as much as possible. Put a light coat on concentrating on any difficult bits. More wire wool and scrubbing. Finally jet wash the whole thing preferably with a hot wash. Allow to dry.

A tip I got from some video before... unfortunately I cannot remember where,
was not to keep brushing the stripper once applied, as you will wipe off the protective coating that very quickly rises to the surface.
This coating stops the active chemical from evaporating and seals it in to do the business.
Tom

Bm101":1jop97u0 said:
Nitromors is a bit Cr*p these days to my mind.
Yeeeeeeeeah, I know, but sometimes beggars can't be choosers...

Bm101":1jop97u0 said:
Fairwarning. I've not used it but it will be my go to next time I need a stripper that I don't have to pay by the minute.
Actually, Toolstation have that Paint Panther they recommended in the article, and in small quantities. They also do Home Strip, which gets almost as many good reviews...

OK, so that's part 1.....
Any advice on best/easiest finishes for a nice Newbie result? Am I on the right track with BLO or Danish?

I've had good results with Rustin's Strypit, a bit slower and more expensive than the caustic strippers but it does work nicely and safer to use. As johnnyb said, for value you can't really beat the unbranded 5ltr tins for £15 from auto factors, works just the same as anything else. I tend to cover stuff I'm stripping with a clear plastic sheet for a couple of reasons, firstly it holds most of the fumes in and secondly it helps concentrate the stripper and protects it from evaporating too quickly.

As far as finish is concerned I would give it 2-3 coats of Danish oil (Boiled linseed would work too, stay away from raw) and then go over the top with a clear or light paste wax such as Liberon Black Bison or a Fiddes wax.

On a slightly sideways health and safety note... those runners look a little on the "insufficient"side to me.
I think they have been shortened.
Try it out to see if it tips all the way over before letting the intended recipient loose in it.

Keep the jetwash 6 inch away and don't use the twirly nozzle. They blow out the grain.
To be honest that methylene chloride stuff was really nasty and needed banning!

phil.p":172rei84 said:
I'd go for a hard wax oil - BLO will smell for ages. It's easier and cleaner as well.
I'll see what I can find. Cheers.
Will also look around at auto strippers, as we have some places nearby.

devonwoody":172rei84 said:
When I opened this thread I was expecting a different dialogue :)
I like to grab attention... :p

sunnybob":172rei84 said:
On a slightly sideways health and safety note... those runners look a little on the "insufficient"side to me.
I think they have been shortened.
I'll hopefully be picking it up in a couple of days, so will check. Thanks for pointing that out, though!
phil.p":172rei84 said:
hard wax oil
Might just be the perspective? How does this look:

s-l1600.jpg

Back looks long enough to stop a tip.
front could be iffy if the occupant gets some speed up though :shock:

sunnybob":29pbcb2h said:
front could be iffy if the occupant gets some speed up though :shock:
The recipient will have a baby in her arms. I doubt she'll be rocking out to AC/DC in this!!

Well, the Strypit did absolutely nothing.
I had a bash with Paint Panther and that was almost as useless. It turned just the top layer of paint into a gloopy coloured slime, which just made a right mess of everything while scraping it off.

Both did a great job of blistering my latex gloves, but that was about it... TBH, even the Nitromors I used on my vice was (slightly) better than these products.
I'd carry on using the detail sander but I can't get it into the turned details on the rails, and the paint just cakes up the grit on the sand-pads.

If my knees allow, I'll have a bash with some wire wool this week, but this is really starting to wear me down... There must be a better way to strip paint off detailed woodwork?

Strip Away Pro still contains the magic (deadly poisonous/environmentally disastrous) ingredient that actually strips paint. Can be bought in large containers online (for "professionals" only, natch!)

Tasky the youtube link I put up was for peelaway as that was what was recommended by Mike. As stated I've not actually used it but was impressed by the video. And Mike is clearly no fool.
Looking again now that panther one is in there but I'd not previously seen it. Apologies if it was misleading.
Keep your spirits up mate!
Regards
Chris

Back