finishing a pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently i posted asking if any CA glue was better than another for pen finishing, and the consensus was mixed but all suggested a medium viscosity. So, i ordered some and now have Wudcare, Roket and some pound shop tubes on a card, and i can confirm the winner is........................

there is not much to choose between them. :)
if anything the pound shop tube was a slightly 'better' (thicker? shinier?) finish, but it is probably a thicker glue, which may have something to do with it :?

what did make a hell-cat of a difference was the micromesh pads i ordered at the same time. =D>

if like me you are fairly new to the turning and finishing lark, and you've followed all the advice of 80 to 400 or 600 grit and even nyweb pads and wondering, like me, why its still not as 'polished' as you'd like it to be, BUY SOME MICROMESH PADS.
they are brill.
by the time youve worked your way through the colours the wood is beautifully finished and shining before you even reach for the polish. (if anything the polish dulls it down a tad, but that may be just my impatience :oops: )

so next time you are in the supplies shop and you see those little coloured 2inch squares, get some. you wont regret it :D

in the interests of political correctness and fairplay advertising standards and all that, i dont know if micromesh is the brand name or the generic term for them so others may be available :mrgreen:

Well done nev.

Don't forget that even after going all the way through the micromesh a little something on top can add a bit of extra sparkle.

It doesn't have to be anything super duper at £100 for a small bottle ... something for polishing cars works just as well.

nev":loulzcqq said:
Recently i posted asking if any CA glue was better than another for pen finishing, and the consensus was mixed but all suggested a medium viscosity. So, i ordered some and now have Wudcare, Roket and some pound shop tubes on a card, and i can confirm the winner is........................

there is not much to choose between them. :)
if anything the pound shop tube was a slightly 'better' (thicker? shinier?) finish, but it is probably a thicker glue, which may have something to do with it :?

what did make a hell-cat of a difference was the micromesh pads i ordered at the same time. =D>

if like me you are fairly new to the turning and finishing lark, and you've followed all the advice of 80 to 400 or 600 grit and even nyweb pads and wondering, like me, why its still not as 'polished' as you'd like it to be, BUY SOME MICROMESH PADS.
they are brill.
by the time youve worked your way through the colours the wood is beautifully finished and shining before you even reach for the polish. (if anything the polish dulls it down a tad, but that may be just my impatience :oops: )

so next time you are in the supplies shop and you see those little coloured 2inch squares, get some. you wont regret it :D

in the interests of political correctness and fairplay advertising standards and all that, i dont know if micromesh is the brand name or the generic term for them so others may be available :mrgreen:

Actually one question I would ask is which "brand" of glue was cheaper (in terms of £ per ml)?

Micromesh pads are great and they are washable.. :D

Pvt_Ryan":3hirqn0f said:
Actually one question I would ask is which "brand" of glue was cheaper (in terms of £ per ml)?:D

Wudcare superglue 20g = £2.60
Roket Rapid 20g = £3.99
royle office (concord cheap shop) 6x 3g tubes (so 18g) = £0.99p

so i guess the cheapest is the cheapest :mrgreen:

Back