Finish / sanding matt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGoddard

Established Member
Reaction score
As per my other threat (squares)...As i complete more projects the finish becomes more and more important. What was once acceptable to me, isn't any more. Therefore, what do people use to protect the surface of the wood as they get closer to the finish (before glueing up).

I have seen some grip mats but i can't seem to find them, clearly, I don't know what they are called to get them to come up with a search.

Any kitchen silicone mat will work well. I always keep the ones my mrs rejects as too old.

Bob's right, the standard draw-lining stuff works great, hardly surprising because it's the same stuff. Buying it this way it'll be bags cheaper than anything marketed specifically as "router mat". I bet you can find it for a quid a roll!

I use 6mm thick yoga mats. They don't grip quite as well as a router mat/drawer liner, but I prefer them for sanding jobs, etc, as they offer more protection. In the past I've used 2 pieces of rubber carpet underlay glued back to back, but the yoga mats are much more convenient to roll up out of the way.

Back