Finish for scrolled items

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
A random question

I usually finish scroll sawed items with varnish if possible, or spray lacquer

But either can be a pain to get into all the nooks and crannys

Anyone found anything better?

Anything that could be dipped? it would of course need to be suitably thin so as not to leave runs and globs

Danish oil.

Teak oil.

BLO.

Nothing.

All of the above work well.

Indeed and have used them all and still do when the situation allows it

But you can't on fine scroll sawed work with small cuts, you can't easily get in them

I thought it would be a question without an answer but thought I would try anyway

NazNomad":3k4vz6uu said:
Danish oil.

Teak oil.

BLO.

Nothing.

All of the above work well.

Is your main aim to get maximum gloss finish or just to seal against handling marks?

If the latter then dipping in Cellulose sanding sealer or Acrylic sealer, which will take a little longer to dry but ultimately tougher. (Both thinned about 10% with appropriate thinner)
If not too fragile then both could be buffed with a bristle brush and waxed within a few minutes of drying.

Alternate suggestion would be to do the same dipping and then use your preferred spray Lacquer to finish, its penetration into the nooks and crannies would not be so critical as they would already be sealed and taken on colour cast.

If you go for Oils, trying a Hard Wax oil may be beneficial as its drying time is considerably reduced in comparison with many finishing oils.

(above are Methods I use on Bark and Burr items I turn)

Thanks for that, I confess sanding sealer is not something I have used before

I will have a look out for some and give it a try

Main aim is to seal but I can see using sanding sealer and then such as lacquer will probably do what I want, the lacquer will show on the main surfaces

CHJ":1nf7kaz4 said:
Is your main aim to get maximum gloss finish or just to seal against handling marks?

If the latter then dipping in Cellulose sanding sealer or Acrylic sealer, which will take a little longer to dry but ultimately tougher. (Both thinned about 10% with appropriate thinner)
If not too fragile then both could be buffed with a bristle brush and waxed within a few minutes of drying.

Alternate suggestion would be to do the same dipping and then use your preferred spray Lacquer to finish, its penetration into the nooks and crannies would not be so critical as they would already be sealed and taken on colour cast.

If you go for Oils, trying a Hard Wax oil may be beneficial as its drying time is considerably reduced in comparison with many finishing oils.

(above are Methods I use on Bark and Burr items I turn)

whatknot":3k06uczv said:
But you can't on fine scroll sawed work with small cuts, you can't easily get in them

Chippygeoff did some pretty intricate lettering and he used a Danish oil bath to soak his work in.

whatknot":16sxe9ea said:

Then that would make finishing with a Lacquer much more problematical as you are going to get varying levels of surface absorption in the wood, especially end grain and may require more than one coat to get an even finish.

My main problem with danish oil is that it colours, its okay for some things but not all

Sometimes I just want the same natural colour to remain but be sealed, gloss or not as the case may be

Plus the drying time with oil is way to long, even when wiped on but dunking takes an age to dry

NazNomad":4focwppd said:
whatknot":4focwppd said:

Chippygeoff did some pretty intricate lettering and he used a Danish oil bath to soak his work in.

That is no doubt part of my problem

The sanding sealer may help in that regard

Are all sanding sealers equal ? or is one better than another ?

CHJ":9xh2trzd said:
whatknot":9xh2trzd said:

Then that would make finishing with a Lacquer much more problematical as you are going to get varying levels of surface absorption in the wood, especially end grain and may require more than one coat to get an even finish.

whatknot":2272wctk said:
Plus the drying time with oil is way to long, even when wiped on but dunking takes an age to dry
Hard Wax Oil, at least the brand I use anyway dries in 4 hours or less, repeated coats can increase the gloss level.

I use the same as claymore links to. Usually diluted 10 % with cellulose thinner for easier application with a brush.

whatknot":1kwqtcw2 said:
Sorry one question I forgot to ask

Is sanding sealer clear ? or coloured ?
Clear, it will like any 'wetting' agent like water, pop the natural colour of the wood.

It can be tinted if required with spirit stains, in fact I sometimes do this to provide a subtly cast to provide a better match of different specimens of wood where direct staining would be too harsh.

Many thanks much appreciated

Funny how these things lead one to another, I checked the Axminster version which is £11.56 plus £1 postage

But had a google, and found one listed on ebay and checking the supplier find its about 11 miles from me and I must have passed it many a time without knowing they are there (just up a side street) and theirs is £9.95 :)

So will be paying a visit soon

If you are new to using sealers or need a bit more information on finishes it might be worth your while having a read of some of the product usage information on the various manufactures sites. This is the information regarding the Chestnut Cellulose sealer for instance.

Thanks for that

I was ahead of you there, I have read several articles on it and it appears that it may be just what I needed

Looking forward to trying some

CHJ":51s033d3 said:
If you are new to using sealers or need a bit more information on finishes it might be worth your while having a read of some of the product usage information on the various manufactures sites. This is the information regarding the Chestnut Cellulose sealer for instance.

Well I picked up some Chestnut cellulose sealer yesterday

As I hadn't used it previously I only wanted the smallest quantity which was 500ml, but they had sold out, so picked up the litre instead

I applied some neat to several items, its a tad claggy as was mentioned, so perhaps I will add 10% thinners next time

Its rather like painting with wallpaper paste, a bit of a pain getting in all the nook sand crannies but using a small paint brush got there in the end, found the brushes clag up as you go along, by the end of several items the brush was a bit thick but all in all it wasn't to bad

It brings out the grain as we mentioned, but the real revelation came after a very light sand of each item today

A lovely smooth finish to the touch

Although expensive I think it will be worth it for the finish you get, I haven't applied a final finish as yet but as we all know the better the foundation the better the end finish

Very pleased with it so far

Back