Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By woodbloke66
Right chaps, I've just had chat on the dog n'bone with a very personable young lady at Polyvine HQ who wouldn't admit that the Acrylic Wax Finish would indeed allow red wine to stain a surface. However what she did say is that they would recommend a couple of coats of the heavy duty wood varnish instead of the Wax finish, so read into that what you will. I'm going to be re-finishing my wine tables with something else...in fact they're already in the 'shop - Rob
Last edited by woodbloke66 on 24 Aug 2019, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
By AndyT
Thanks Rob. That's the stuff I linked to, though I also have the "wax" version.
I have both but don't hold your breath for tests - it's a bit hot and the start of a bank holiday weekend!
By woodbloke66
AndyT wrote:Thanks Rob. That's the stuff I linked to, though I also have the "wax" version.
I have both but don't hold your breath for tests - it's a bit hot and the start of a bank holiday weekend!

No problem Andy, it's useful for all to get these things clarified as it was the 'Wax' version I was using. I'll probably re-finish the tops of my wine tables with a few coats of Osmo as I know that's pretty nigh on bullet proof - Rob
By mbartlett99
Oddly I've got a breakfast bar finished in two coats of polyvine acrylic which does not seem to get stained by red wine (although I don't let it sit). Also have a worktop finished with 5 coats of Bona Chemi Nova - which is a pretty industrial squash/bowling alley product - which will stain v. easily with red wine.
By AndyT
I'm interested in this question as I need to refinish an oak veneered table. It has an unknown commercial finish, probably some sort of catalysed sprayed on lacquer which I can't reproduce. At the Axminster open day I talked to a Polyvine rep who gave me a sample of one of their products that he said would be suitable. I've since bought some, but not used it yet. I already have one of their other products, which I have used on some boxes and other small items. Like the OP I want to make sure I use something which will look right and give enough protection.
To that end I've now completed some simple tests.

This is an offcut of some oak (American white?) with some stains and the two varnishes.
From left to right, Soy Sauce,Wax finish Varnish, Heavy Duty Wood Varnish and red wine.

The website descriptions of the two similar products don't make it obvious what is in them. They are both described as stain resistant but the heavy duty one has a specific mention of use for worktops and should be tougher. Note that they now use white bottles not blue - I don't think this marks any change in the formulation. Both are water based and milky when liquid.

I applied a single coat of each and after four hours applied a second coat to half of each patch. I didn't dilute the first coat - I couldn't think of an easy way to dilute a tiny quantity - and many users would not bother either. Nor did I do any sanding. The test piece was left for 24 hours to fully cure.

I then added a dribble of soy sauce and wine and left them all for about ten minutes.

After that time I blotted all the stains with kitchen towel.

The bare wood stained - no surprise there.

The area with the wax finish varnish on stained from the red wine but not so much from the soy sauce. Oddly, the second coat did not seem to have helped.

The heavy duty varnish resisted staining, even with only one coat.

I took all the photos in the same lighting with the same camera settings. It's hard to see on screen but I would say that the heavy duty varnish gives a slightly greyer tone when compared to the warmer wax finish varnish. But it's a tiny difference and probably only visible with them side by side.

I know this is not exhaustive or conclusive but I hope it is some help to others.
By woodbloke66
I re-finished my wine tables with severial brushed on coats of thinned down (30% with white spirit) Satin Osmo and then cut back with 0000g wire wool 'twixt each coat, finally burnishing the top surface with some super fine stuff from WH. Interestingly, before I started, the original Polyvine Wax finish had allowed larger stains on the bottom of beer glasses (so virtually transparent) some way through, so I had to cut that old finish well back before I could apply the new. The look good now though and the tops are, as far as I can tell, pretty bullet proof - Rob
By Steve Maskery
Oddly I've got a breakfast bar... which does not seem to get stained by red wine [/quote]

Not even I am that much of a sot!