Finding off cuts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm in the middle of Lincolnshire, there are plenty of metal stockists around, but finding off cuts is a real problem. No one wants to admit to having any, those that do charge over the odds.

Do any of you folks know a reasonable supplier who's happy to supply at decent prices? I could order meters of stock, but I'd end up with a huge collection of lengths with bits nibbled off the ends!

Thanks.

Tried any of the guys who actually make stuff from the metal? I pop in with the engineer/nut+bolt shop on the local industrial estate regularly for nuts and bolts and the occasional piece cut off from their stock or an offcut for a little bit over cost price.

Last length I bought from there was a 1m long 25mm cold rolled mild steel bar for about £9, which is about the going rate.

I call on a local fabrication shop, struck up a rapport with the boss and now raid the skip at will. I always throw a tenner into their "bun Fund" though.

Hmm, there are a couple of places that might be worth a go, I'll pop in next week.

Thanks for the ideas.

Me? Skip diving (even though the notice at our local collection points starts off with some carp about "Es ist stark VERBOTEN .... ").

Fab shop on our industrial estate order me anything I want in mild steel if its a full length, or there is a really good stockholder in leicester that have a great offcuts selection for solid section.

If you venture one county south to Cambridge you could try Mackays. They have a website. Worth dropping in if you are nearby but may not be worth a special journey.

They cut to size, including small orders, a fair range of sheet, sections and bar and they have a modest off cuts bin/rack opposite the counter so you can root through it. I often pick up odd bits there, either offcuts or small quantity like 2 m of stainless round bar or 30x30 cm copper sheet. I don't do enough to judge price but suspect they are a bit high - you can put examples in on their website to get an idea. Offcut pricing is I think theoretically half normal price but depends who is serving, sometimes they measure and do sums but other times it's a bit of a guess.

The metal shop is in a separate building with shorter opening hours than the main store, look carefully on website. Small car park at the back that you can usually get in.

Their main shop is a browsers delight, odd mix of ordinary retail and serious quality tools etc., their website is a bit rubbish at showing what they have. They sell a huge range of 'nuts and bolts' singly - again a bit expensive but where else do you go if you urgently want five M8x30 stainless allen head setscrews or ...... etc etc.

Back