Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Charley, CHJ, Noel

By Doug71
How do people fill cracks like this before painting? I don't mean between the boarding and rail but the cracks in the actual rail, I would normally use 2 part filler but just wondered if there is something else out there more suited? The cracks open and close with the weather so something flexible might be better?
The timber is unsorted redwood, the back of gates are south facing. I will be overcoating with Dulux Ultimate Opaque.

gate rail.jpg

Thanks in advance, Doug
By Jonathan S
Doug
From experience 2 part doesn't hold up well outside..... I'm on a job at the moment repairing 60 pergolas, they where repaired a few years ago with 2 part and it looks like it actually encourages rot..... I've just experimented with some polymer silicone, its printable and moves.... I'll let you know in a couple of years how it holds up![SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
By Doug71
Jonathan, do you mean the normal type polymer adhesive/ sealants like stix all? I have just used some to fill the gap in a door panel that had come apart before I painted it. Seems to have worked well but you cant really sand it at all, you just have to clean it off and let it skin over, might give it a go though.

W2S, yeah that is the stuff I normally use, it is good stuff, just wondered if there was anything else on the market that I might not have heard of.

Thanks guys.
By Bm101
Just a mad thought. What about intumescent silicon. Fire rated for sealing round metal pipes on large industrial boilers etc it has a movement rate that is registered at a high percentage.
Ok. Answers on a postcard.
Or replace the drip guard and be done with it. I think I remember MikeG posting about old doors that these were meant to be replaced? Sorry. Being dense not facetious obviously.
Last edited by Bm101 on 20 May 2020, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
By rafezetter
If you are thinking of something flexible to fill it (assuming you don't replace it) caulk designed for expansion joints has a high flex rating; 25% if memory serves - there are some that are over paintable.

2 part doesn't promote rot - however if the edge where the 2part has been applied and the wood has separated because of poor application and adhesion (usually user error), then yes water gets in if the paint on top has been left untouched.

2part is regularly used as a fast way to rebuild and repair soft, semi rotten wood especially with exterior cills and works just fine as long as the person doing it knows what to do other than just slap some 2 part onto soft or rotting wood.
By MikeG.
rafezetter wrote:If you are thinking of something flexible to fill it (assuming you don't replace it) caulk designed for expansion joints has a high flex rating; 25% if memory serves - there are some that are over paintable..........

Are there? I didn't know there were low modulus silicon sealants which could be painted. Obviously that would demand a highly flexible paint, at least as flexible as the sealant.
By MikeG.
owen wrote:CT1 is overpaintable, Also some others like fix-all and clear fix

But they're high modulous (ie relatively inflexible).
By Phil Pascoe
rafezetter wrote:2part is regularly used as a fast way to rebuild and repair soft, semi rotten wood especially with exterior cills and works just fine as long as the person doing it knows what to do other than just slap some 2 part onto soft or rotting wood.

I have done this, but the wood was soaked with a hardener first. When it fails again, it's the end.