filler for mahogany

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank

Established Member
Reaction score
whats the best way to fill the grain , (its that bit of wild grain with little holes) a chap asked me to do a bit of painting for him and i got payed with a bit of mahogany about 90 feet of r/sawn ranging from 7inchs to 13 inches . now the wife wants me to make her a display cabinet with some of the wood ,i have looked in fww and will be doing the joints (tansu style )i would like to try doing a shellac finish,but thats a little way in the future . should i mix a bit of sawdust with sanding sealer or is there another way ??

Frank,

I am not certain what you are asking. If you plan on a shellac finish - especially if you want to French polish it, you will need to fill all the grain in mahogany which is rather open grained. If you want to repair a bit of tear out etc, that is a different proposition.

The former (all over grain filling) is most easliy done with a proprietary grain filler either water or oil based - I prefer oil based as it is a tad easier to clean off and make smooth than the water based variety.

The latter (filling holes) can indeed be done with sawdust and a bit of glue (not sanding sealer) - epoxy is my preference for this.

Don't confuse grain filler with the sort of wood stoppers you find in B&Q etc. they are very different.

Back