Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By AES
Thanks for the positive comments Keith 66. I'm glad you found it useful.

There'll be a follow up on hacksawing (and other metal cutting methods & tools) to come soon.

Re your comments on silver versus lead/pewter, thanks for that. Thinking about it, that makes complete sense, but never having done any jewellery making, I didn't know that before, & didn't even think about it

Q: Do you use the "modern" diamond files for jewellery too? If so any comments you have (pos or neg) would be most welcome, 'cos like jewellery, I've never used them (except V fine ones for just touching up lathe tool tips).

Cheers

AES
By Keith 66
Im not an expert by any means, i learnt a bit from a technician i worked with who was an acomplished silversmith of awesome skill. I believe the modern diamond files are sometimes used but the rule keeping files for separate materials still applies.
By patrickjchase
heimlaga wrote:Theese days there as far as I know only two decent file makers in the world.
-Pferd in Germany
-Sandvik nowadays in Portugal

Corradi in Italy is very good, and actually makes a lot of the files that Pferd sells. For example the "Pferd Swiss-Pattern Corinox" files are all made in Italy by Corradi ("Corinox" is a Corradi trademark)

Grobet-Vallorbe in Switzerland makes very good files, including ones sold under the labels of other makers. For example, needle files branded as "Nicholson", "Bahco", "Grobet Swiss" and "Vallorbe" are all identically made and appear to come from the same (UVM-Vallorbe) Swiss factory.

Bahco is a conglomerate that includes Sandvik and Oberg and probably others.

Blu-Dan in Austria makes good files under both their own label and for others. For example I have a box of "Ultra Chrome" ski files that I purchased a while back that are rebranded Blu-Dans and quite good (similar Rc72 coating hardness to Valtitan/Corinox).
By patrickjchase
johnnyb wrote:My guess is the sandvik will be made by tome feteira. I guess portugal is first world enough to make good uns but backward enough to be able to pay peanuts to the pool of skilled workers that make these things. Old English/american files in comparison are to soft with a loss of bite. Modern technology old skills. I've Lways found milenicut files to be outstanding with horn and hardwood especially if you sharpen them with a diamond card.
Jb

Tome Feteira manufactures tools for Blu-Dan (nominally an Austrian maker) but I'm not aware of them doing the same for Sandvik.

Sandvik and Bahco are part of the US-based Snap-On group, and have pretty heavily globalized supply chains. Most of their files continue to be pretty decent though iMO. I use their mill and saw files quite a lot.
By AES
Thanks for the extra info Patrick. I had a brief association with Sandvik in the early '70s and visited their factory in Sweden. Also Bahco, and Oberg. At that time all three were separate companies, in separate towns, but all three Swedish. Sandvik was the biggest, and as well as saws, they made a lot of machine tooling.

But that was then, and as with so many other areas of trade & industry, all sorts of conglomerations, takeovers, and joint ventures have happened in the tools business.

So thanks for the extra info - I'd not heard of the others you mentioned until your post, but as this whole thread is now a sticky, your info is there for others to find. Thanks.

AES