Facebook, I am very worried

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I note Analytical have been raided and I never gave Facebook my correct name or d,o.b. or the school I attended so could I be in trouble with all that false information I supplied years ago?
:wink: :wink: :wink:

You can supply as many false details as you like John, it just helps the software sort you out as a person of interest, every time you log on, take an image with your super duper camera or smart phone without having taken any actions to turn off or block the location details 'They' will know where you have been. 'They've' been watching you for years John. :)

It doesn't matter.

Even if you've never logged into facebook they've been building a "ghost" profile of you.

A few days before the official 'raid', according to news reports, Facebook security personnel were seen at Cambridge Analytica conducting their own mini-raid and removed several boxes of paperwork, probably all the ones with devonwoody's false profiles... :lol:

It's been brewing for years, the immense amount of personal data captured from users of certain social media sites made it inevitable that profit would be made from this data. A bit like the old 'forum email address harvesting' but on a much bigger and far more intimate scale. Although from what others tell me about Facebore/Egobook, most of the data will be about people's eating habits...

Yeh, we rarely need to know that someone took a picture of their latest creation on their kitchen worktop with an IPhone6 at 5*** North *4** west. but if it was someone pulling a fast one selling 'acquired' items it could be of interest. swings and roundabouts I guess.

Oh and you did not let Google or 'Phone network use your location when looking for nearest wood yard did you.

90% of the people on the internet are looking for wood.
I dont think our activities would skew that figure much.

I was reading in the paper last week..........

As an experiment, someone offered a free hot spot in London, buried in the usual seven pages of terms and conditions they had inserted "by agreeing to using this product, we reserve the right to acquire your first born and/or family pet" .

100s signed up, which proves we don't read to T&Cs , nor consider what we are signing up for.

That reminded me of the advice given when taking exams - read the whole paper and when you're certain you've understood everything, read it again.

There was a letter in The times a long while ago about a girl who did her first exam at university - she read the first page and thought great, and finished the question. She then did likewise with the second, third and fourth pages. On the top of the fifth page was written "Ignore the first four pages, your exam starts here".

I should think displaying you portrait photograph is dodgy. When plastic cash cards are involved instead of PIN numbers. ?

I've never been a Facebook user, though I did have an account up until a couple of months ago. I logged a while back and in the "people you may know" section there were recommendations which I couldn't explain.

For example, the two daughters of the electrician we used to rewire our house have both popped up. He isn't on Facebook, so how did the algorithm find a connection? It's a bit creepy.

Mark A":v93msmvg said:
For example, the two daughters of the electrician we used to rewire our house have both popped up. He isn't on Facebook, so how did the algorithm find a connection? It's a bit creepy.

Phone number contacts. They'll have their dad's number, you probably had it too. That's a link.

ScaredyCat":dcxzvt30 said:
Mark A":dcxzvt30 said:

Phone number contacts. They'll have their dad's number, you probably had it too. That's a link.

My phone number wasn't linked to Facebook and I don't have my electrician's number saved in my phone's contacts. The only record on my phone would be his number eg 07*********** in my call log, but surely that's only stored in the phone and with Vodafone.

All it takes is for someone (anyone) to have your number and for someone (including the same person, but not required) in their contacts to have his number. In other words, any one of your friends, colleagues, acquaintances etc has your number starts the link, if any one of your friends, colleagues, acquaintances has his number or any one of your "friends, colleagues, acquaintances" friends, colleagues, acquaintances have his number then there's the complete join.

Ultimately your friends, colleagues, acquaintances are the weak link. If any of them install Facebook Messenger agree to upload their contacts (asked when installing on your phone) and you're one of them, they're linking you. Even if you don't have an account of you own.

Mark A":3qwmzvqz said:
ScaredyCat":3qwmzvqz said:
Mark A":3qwmzvqz said:

My phone number wasn't linked to Facebook and I don't have my electrician's number saved in my phone's contacts. The only record on my phone would be his number eg 07*********** in my call log, but surely that's only stored in the phone and with Vodafone.

Did you have the facebook app on your phone?
Quite a few of the data protection wonks have discovered in the last week or so that the facebook app was grabbing a huge amount of data off android phones without telling anyone. As in, everyone you ever called, how long and when you called them for, all your contact details and so on.
If you want to find out for sure, go to facebook, click on the settings page, and then the "Download a copy of your Facebook data" link; then when the zip file that creates is ready, download it and look through it.

Nope, never used the Facebook app or messenger, but as you say, it only takes one of my phone contacts to download the apps and my data can be shared. Although I deactivated my account a while back but it appears a single login will reactivate it so I'll request a copy of the data they hold on me for curiosity's sake.

Mark

lurker":2dhu0bpc said:
I was reading in the paper last week..........

As an experiment, someone offered a free hot spot in London, buried in the usual seven pages of terms and conditions they had inserted "by agreeing to using this product, we reserve the right to acquire your first born and/or family pet" .

100s signed up, which proves we don't read to T&Cs , nor consider what we are signing up for.

haha brilliant - but it's already been proven several times that T&C's and EULA's that contravene law can't be upheld in court.

Companies that offer digital download copies of software - programs, games or whatever are especially guilty of having T&C's that cannot be legally upheld, yet still apply them in the hope the customer doesn't know that, and just assumes that the company in question is abiding by the laws of that country.

Steam the games provider has had it's T&C's overturned on thousands of occasions, but afaik, they've not changed them, because many more still accept thier word that it's legally binding. Just to put it into context Steam have a "2 hour refund window" - for any game purchased, after 2 hours if you've not asked for a refund, you won't get one after that - at least those that don't know the law won't get one; but challenge them with a specifically worded email and the refund will be given.

As far as facebook and the rest are concerned, to be honest most peoples lives are so dull, harvesting thier data won't amount to anything, so on the few occasions FB and other such media outlets has led to arrests for cyberbullying, posting your plans to kill your teacher (wow what a dumbass) or silly person terrorists planning stuff or other subversive activities - these sorts of sites have been a help.

Some people love to brag, they just can't help themselves - even when the activity is illegal - so I say let them, then we (the law abiding society members) know who they are and we can do something about it.

Plus trying to go "off the grid" is almost impossible nowadays anyway.

It's the same argument I use to people who complain an ID card or whatever is intrusive - "if you've got nothing to hide, what's the problem?"

I'm not going all 1984, but by far the largest reason why we have the world society that we do is because people have too much freedom and not enough societal controls. The freedom to have more money than the GPD's of some small countires, yet also the freedom to allow children to be bombed, or strve to death or die of diseases that don't exist in most other countries....

Sorry I'll stop, but you get my point - if data harvesting from these sites is the worst that happens to you - well you should be count yourself lucky.

Everyone with even a modicum of sense knows how a non damaging society should be, problem is - almost no-one wants to live there, while expecting to partake of it's benefits as a "human right".

It's beyond ridiculous, humans have got to be the the least intelligent species on the planet.

Edit - yes I understand the dangers of data manipulation, and how the easily led can be influenced, but I ask you, now that the internet is here, how do you plan to stop it? Humanity will always use whatever tools it can to manipulate the wider population for it's own gain at the expense of others, we've just got better at it - all these media outlets are just different flavors of advertising (which btw is another form of manipulation), and no-ones been having a fit about that for the last 200 or so years it's been going on. Every single "choice" you have ever made has had someone elses influence in it - I don't mean the obvious familial / work etc / I mean someone on the other side of the world has influenced your criteria for making an "informed choice". Freedom of choice is an illusion, and has been since the invention of "civilization" 10,000 years ago.

I just wish more people understood this. I just shake my head when I read about the outcry against FB and cambridge analytica and all the "how dare they's" like this is something new.

THIS is the "bigger picture" you've all heard about and the destination of this particular train isn't anyplace good.

Back