Face mask

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretakereg

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I need a face visor as my goggles are a bit misty and had them for over 6 years.
I looked on ebay and found a yellow clear one for £8.45.
What would you recommend, I do have a mask for the dust and years ago I did have the visor mask but that went with my old lathe.

I didn't get on with a face shield, but am on my second aircap, does everything and very comfortable, great protection for face and lungs.

I use to use just a face shield and found it did the job but dust got onto both sides of the shield, it still misted up when first putting it on.
I then bought one from Axminster THIS ONE. I know people will go on about it does not go up to the trend specs but I found it does everything I want from it. Comfortable and does not mist up battery lasts for a complete day if needed. it now becomes second nature to put on my smock and respirator when I go turning. I had a piece come off and hit it square on made me jump as it would but it stopped it. I also got the visor overlays that way if it becomes scratched just change to a new overlay works out cheaper than buying a new main visor

I have a JSP half mask with P3 filters that I used to use when sanding and dusty things, which I didn't do often til I started turning. To use that mask I needed to shave first/ reshape my goatee to make sure it fit 'air-tight', which was a bit of a pain. I now have a trend airshield and think it's great - coupled with a hvlp extractor I bought used from a member on this site I think it's a safe setup for sanding on the lathe.

If you've got some spare cash the 3m Versaflo is a stunning piece of kit. It's nice and light, so comfortable in fact you forget you're wearing it.

spudgun69":84joi71u said:
If you've got some spare cash the 3m Versaflo is a stunning piece of kit. It's nice and light, so comfortable in fact you forget you're wearing it.
Thanks for this comment. I have been interested in these for a long time. I don't like more weight on my head than I can avoid so for me, belt mounted fan and filter is the way to go. Back in the day there was the original RACAL airlight, nowadays, the Versaflo looks like the best designed of its type. Good to have a recommendation from someone who has used it.

If considering the powered masks, try them on first.
Loads of people have bought the Trend Airshield and love them, but a goodly number seem to become unhappy with the fit and weight on the head over time.
The JSP/Axminster masks have a narrow fit and don't suit everyone.
I use the Sundstrom SR500/SR540, which I find more comfortable than the 3M Versaflo - but many prefer the Versaflo.
Arco sell a good variety and they'll let you try them on before buying. If necessary they'll get one in for you to try, and are usually prepared to negotiate a little on price.
Duncan

Get a visor that is at least EN166 B (medium impact) and if buying a respirator, get one that is at least TH2P for protection against dust from hardwoods.
Also, find our what the manufacturers recommended shelf life is and replace accordingly.

Back