External door panels - Medite Accoya ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps

LOML wants this back door made for us.

I was proposing to make the rails and stiles from Tricoya but was wondering about the panels. Would it be better to use Medite Accoya ?

Regarding the construction, those panels look flush on the original and so I'm guessing that maybe they rebated the rails and stiles and dropped the panels in ?

That cock bead ...can't get my head round that one. Planted on ? It's not on the panel..RH middle panel has split but the bead is intact. I don't think it's moulded onto the rails or stiles (could be though) as it doesn't run all the way through that top rail, for example. But it doesn't look planted on as they look flush with the panels and rails etc. Mmmmm.....coming round, as I type, that they are moulded on the rails and stiles.

TIA

Trevanion":1t198gco said:
The Medite should be fine so long as you don't double skin the door for insulation, I've seen it can sweat quite heavily inside and make it's way to the paint on the outside and bubble off.

Do you mean that the panels should not not be double skinned? My bro is planning to make a very similar door (although I suspect I shall be doing quite a bit of it) . At the mo, the plan is to make the panels from two layers of Triccoya MDF with a 12mm PU foam filling. Are you saying that is not a good idea? I'd rather learn that now rather than later.

BTW, he ordered his Accoya, only to be told there was no stock and won't be until February.

Steve Maskery":2ewyl4cu said:
Do you mean that the panels should not not be double skinned? My bro is planning to make a very similar door (although I suspect I shall be doing quite a bit of it) . At the mo, the plan is to make the panels from two layers of Triccoya MDF with a 12mm PU foam filling. Are you saying that is not a good idea? I'd rather learn that now rather than later.

I had to go and do an independent quality inspection (by customer request through the architect) of somebody else's work which their customer wasn't happy with because the paint was bubbling off. There were a few doors in the place but some were done at separate times. The earlier doors were made about a year before when the joiner was using solid Accoya tongue and groove boards with polystyrene in the doors. About a year later the next batch of doors had faux tongue and groove effect Tricoya panels instead, everything else was the same except for that. A couple of months in the paint around the faux T+G panels had begun to blister and peel away. I was told to have a look at it and see what I think and whether it was the joiners fault, I wasn't not really sure who's fault it was. You can't really say whether anything is right or wrong since it's such a new product. There was definitely some strange form of dampness or condensation inside the door which I hadn't seen before even on ply panel doors. My theory is that the Tricoya is so dense and impervious to the damp that it actually doesn't allow anything inside to breathe at all and tends to sweat more, causing damp to form inside the door behind the paint. As I said, it's just a theory and whether it's fact is another thing, we probably won't know the answer for sure for a long time. In the end, they just took out the panels put in regular T+G and there hasn't been a problem since.

Steve Maskery":2ewyl4cu said:
BTW, he ordered his Accoya, only to be told there was no stock and won't be until February.

There's a serious shortage at the moment, hence why it's £2000+ a cubic metre with most suppliers.

Surely the panels are not just dropped in.

I suspected the panels have been rebated around the edge and then sit within the groove, like fielded panels.

“Mediate accoya”? What’s that? I thought there was accoya OR mediate Tricoya.

LBCarpentry":1sqt6dt6 said:
Surely the panels are not just dropped in.

I suspected the panels have been rebated around the edge and then sit within the groove, like fielded panels.

“Mediate accoya”? What’s that? I thought there was accoya OR mediate Tricoya.

Yup...my bad. :D

Panels like this, I think

external door.png

Attachments

• external door.png
    external door.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 71
Back