Experimental Pot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
After making the router jig for using on the lathe, I thought I would have a play and have started this pot. It will stand about 6" tall once upright. Made from Chestnut but will be coloured when finished

DSCF0061 (800x600).jpg

DSCF0058 (800x600).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0061 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0061 (800x600).jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 825
  • DSCF0058 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0058 (800x600).jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 825
Looks like you are up to no good there Derek, making frangible cylinders, good job you are not making it in ironwood. :)
Judging by the finish achieved on those cuts the rig is good and rigid in use.

I need to make a lager base board that comes out further as the back of the jig overhangs a little too much for my liking and if not careful will allow the back to tilt down if pushed into the work too much and making the cutter ride higher than needed. Once I realised this everything went OK.

And the first attempt and the faults rectified like the rings that run around the circumference needed the jig to be clamped down so it did not wonder off line. So from the first try to the one above was a learning curve even though it was a short one as I picked up on them very quick.

The learning piece

DSCF0044 (800x600).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0044 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0044 (800x600).jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 784
Nice, do you think you could make barley twists with that jig? It's something I have been considering for a while for a project.

Woodmonkey":3r7mbns2 said:
Nice, do you think you could make barley twists with that jig? It's something I have been considering for a while for a project.

Not without some modification, you will just have to do it by hand

I like that, Derek - great design. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out with the colouring....love a bit of colour, me....

stewart":jf0pv172 said:
I like that, Derek - great design. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out with the colouring....love a bit of colour, me....
This is going to be quite plain colouring. But I do have another idea with some colouring using the airbrush but not how you use yours

The Trend router lathe used to be great for this sort of stuff and Barley twists, I regret selling mine many times over.

Just spent the day cleaning the paint off of this due to my stupid actions :oops: :oops: :oops: of putting it in the conservatory one evening and left it over night morning came along with the sun and the heat caused the paint to blister so now back to bear wood for round two.
Have cleaned the workshop and hoovered it out twice ready for painting it again along with another piece

Back