Expanding Circular Dining Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Johnson":2w02fkjw said:
Hi Roger,
There are some similarities, but quite a few differences! The segments move out radially using the same iris principle, and ramps are used to lift bits up. But his table has an extra level of complexity as you don't have to go around unfolding the expansion leaves, and the mechanism to raise the central star is really ingenuous! It's great that there are so many ways of making these tables, each probably have different advantages depending on the size of the table and how much you want it to expand...... It's got me thinking again for the next one!!
George.

Yep - me too ! :D Looking carefully at your interpretation, you get away with one fewer tier on your design than Scot Rumschlag does on his, and with considerably fewer moving parts, so I should imagine less to wear out, less friction in operation, and I suspect easier to get each segment to register accurately with the adjoining one.

Looking at each of the "pie" segments, they appear to be located high above the runners, and also when fully extended, they overhang the skirt well past their centres of gravity. How are they attached to the runners, and how do you stop the table edge sagging under it's own weight as I can see no attachment close to the sharp end of each segment?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a sucker for wanting to understand how things work!

Hi Roger,

I have attached a photo of the table as I was building the mechanism so you can see how the top segments are attached.

IMAG2224_small.jpg

The metal runners and ball bearing blocks come as a set. (two rails and 4 blocks) I made the steel brackets that bolt onto them and then attach to the segments. The top segments are also just in contact with the skirting all around the table so they have support from there as well. All the pieces join together with tongue and groove joints, so once the top is locked together everything is nice and solid.

Hope that makes sense!

George

Attachments

• IMAG2224_small.jpg
    IMAG2224_small.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 1,216
George Johnson":3nalda8k said:
The metal runners and ball bearing blocks come as a set. (two rails and 4 blocks) I made the steel brackets that bolt onto them and then attach to the segments. The top segments are also just in contact with the skirting all around the table so they have support from there as well. All the pieces join together with tongue and groove joints, so once the top is locked together everything is nice and solid.

Hope that makes sense!

George

So on each rail there are 2 blocks set in close proximity? Presumably there is some integral locking mechanism (other than gravity) that holds the block down on to each rail so that each segment doesn't overbalance when unsupported during expansion? Those don't look like standard under mounted drawer runners, so presumably designed for some other purpose - not specifically for expanding tables?

edit - Presumably something like this or this?

Yes, the second link, except I used 350mm long rails. They are really good, when the four blocks are bolted together there is zero lateral movement, and they move along the rail with virtually no resistance!

Woodmonkey":26u4tysf said:
Great work George, just had a look at your website, there's some lovely stuff on there.

+1
I spent a good half hour looking at your portfolio at the weekend, phenomenal.

Just utterly gorgeous.

A great blend of art, woodwork and engineering.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hi George,

I am trying to make one of these as they look fantastic! I am trying to sketch it all out before I start cutting (could get expensive quickly otherwise) and I'm a bit stuck on how you achieved the profile of the rods that push the 'pies' outwards when you rotate it? How did you calculate them, or was it trial and error?

Thanks, and again, it really does look amazing. Sadly I'm not such a veneer wizard as you so mine will look a little more plain I suspect.

Olly

Truly marvellous - I'm in awe at your execution.
I'm trying to make a much smaller version (a coffee table), using plans from mechanical lumber web site. just started this week.

Back