Enamel paint on wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickM

Established Member
Reaction score
As mentioned in another thread, I'm making a box for a godson of mine. I'm thinking of it as a toolbox but he can put whatever he likes in it. Pic of the WIP below.

IMG_7675.jpeg

I want to paint his initials on it. I have some enamel paint which I think will be suitable. My question is whether I should paint it before or after I apply a finish (Osmo Polyx)? Another option would be to do one coat of finish, then paint, and then another coat.

I can run a test piece, but thought I'd consult the wisdom of the forum as well.

Cheers

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_7675.jpeg
    IMG_7675.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 159
you definitely want to have a primer/basecoat of some kind on and dry before you do the enamel. both in terms of durability and in apperance/opacity

Thanks Droogs. That makes sense. I can see the enamel "leaching" into the wood otherwise.

I've only been using shellac for a year or so now, but I find its an amazing sealer for this kind of thing.

Before, painting the insides of bandsaw box drawers, the paint would often leach right through seams and even wood to mar the outside finish.
Since applying 2 coats of shellac first, nothing bleeds through, not even hammerite metal paint when I am flocking.
And using blonde de-waxed, it hardly changes the base wood colour. =D>

sunnybob":2lxqk19l said:
I've only been using shellac for a year or so now, but I find its an amazing sealer for this kind of thing.

Before, painting the insides of bandsaw box drawers, the paint would often leach right through seams and even wood to mar the outside finish.
Since applying 2 coats of shellac first, nothing bleeds through, not even hammerite metal paint when I am flocking.
And using blonde de-waxed, it hardly changes the base wood colour. =D>

Thanks. I’m doing some French polishing at the moment on a side table I’m making and I agree that shellac is good stuff. However, I’m pretty set on Osmo for the tool box because it will be more durable. I think shellac would stop the wood absorbing the oil.

if you use a very thinned out de-waxed shellac and sand it back it's the perfect sealer, even under paint, I am not sure I'd paint that lovely oak though, how can you do that? :) it makes more sense on pine with knots in or poplar that looks ugly in its natural colour state.

thetyreman":101mltor said:
if you use a very thinned out de-waxed shellac and sand it back it's the perfect sealer, even under paint, I am not sure I'd paint that lovely oak though, how can you do that? :) it makes more sense on pine with knots in or poplar that looks ugly in its natural colour state.

I'm not painting the whole box, only the lad's initials!

I know it's a different option needing other equipment which you may not have access to but have you considered inlaying the initials ?

I'm fortunate enough to have a small Roland MDX-20 and have recently made two boxes with inlaid decoration. One was a box to store pens for a 60th birthday gift for someone with the initials A.S.H. --- naturally the box had to be in Ash :) but the initials are in Walnut. There is also a Hexagon (60th) in Ebony and tessellated 'Lizards' a la M.C.Escher .
Lizard ASH Box - 1.png

The second is a 'Book' in Olive and Brown Ivory with an interlaced monogram in Pink Ivory & Kingwood inside a double Reuleaux Pentagon in Ebony.
Book Spline.png

Attachments

• Lizard ASH Box - 1.png
    Lizard ASH Box - 1.png
    211.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Book Spline.png
    Book Spline.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 31
Thanks J-G. That's lovely work. That would be a great way of doing it, but beyond my ability in the time I have available!

Latest posts

Back