elu db180 lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobpowell

Reaction score
I need to replace the headstock bearings on this lathe but i am unable to remove the belt pulley. Does anyone know which direction the thread runs on this pulley? Perhaps I am trying to undo it in the wrong direction! help please!

Are you 100% certain it's threaded? I don't think I've ever encountered one that's threaded, they've always been held on with a grub screw hidden in the v-grooves and a key.

If it is threaded it's most likely left-hand thread and you would need to loosen it the opposite way you would normally.

Sometimes there are 2 grubscrews in the hole, so double check that.

Trevanion":qu5a8s9c said:
Are you 100% certain it's threaded? I don't think I've ever encountered one that's threaded, they've always been held on with a grub screw hidden in the v-grooves and a key.

If it is threaded it's most likely left-hand thread and you would need to loosen it the opposite way you would normally.

As Trevanion said - unlikely to be threaded but if it is, it would be a right hand thread if screwed on from the rear end of the spindle and a left hand thread if screwed on from the front end.

I need to replace the headstock bearings on this lathe but i am unable to remove the belt pulley. Does anyone know which direction the thread runs on this pulley? Perhaps I am trying to undo it in the wrong direction! help please!
Probably way too late in answering this, but in case anyone else is interested, the pulley IS threaded and it is a right hand thread. There are no grub screws. I really struggled to remove it at first but then found that with the spindle locked in position (i.e. with a metal rod inserted in the hole in the top of the headstock) you could use a pipe wrench on the centre of the pulley to get good purchase and to turn it. It actually came off with relative ease using this method and I was kicking myself for not having thought of this earlier. Once removed however, don’t assume that the bearing replacement is easy!! You can knock the spindle and bearings out with relative ease (tap firmly with a hammer and a block of wood from the pulley side of the assembly) but getting the bearings off the spindle is difficult - even with the correct tools.

Back