Electrolytic derusting my experience (wip)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaco

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read a fair bit about this now and thought that looks like a good idea to me and now I've done it I found it easy to make and from the limited results I have so far a real success!

Here's what I did...

This is the start I had some threaded bar I used a piece in each corner and a plastic tub of some sort...

resized_STA70729.jpg

Fit a rod in each corner, I had some little brackets, I used self tappers to hold them in place...

resized_STA70731.jpg

Like this...

resized_STA70732.jpg

Jumped ahead a little here, all I did was joined wire to each rod to make a loop with washers and nuts then used another piece of rod drill through the middle top of the tub... Then all you need is normal washing soda I bought mine in Tesco for 59p and water I used about half a cup for that amount it allows the current to flow through the water, one other thing Small amounts of hydrogen are emitted in the electrolysis process. Good ventilation or an outdoor work site is all that is needed....

resized_STA70734.jpg

I bought this from a car boot for £2 it's a 12v transformer for a train set but a car battery charger seems to be the usual thing to use...

resized_STA70747.jpg

This is the first sacrifice I found for derusting...

resized_STA70746.jpg

READ CAREFULLY THE POLARITY IS VERY IMPORTANT You connect the live wire to to the outer rods and the negative wire to the centre rod, then I used thin wire to suspend the different pieces, here's the allen key just don't let the outer rods come into contact with the suspended tool etc. even with it switched on I found I could move the tools under the water without feeling anything after all it's only 12v...

resized_STA70750.jpg

Here's a few other bits also... the parts actually start fizzing and if it's quite you can actually hear it...

resized_STA70748.jpg

I don't make out to know how this works but this is all the rust being collected from the tools...

resized_STA70749.jpg

After about 2 hours... Just look at the crud that's accumilated! also the good thing is when the water is to cruddy to use you can literally throw it down the drain or on the garden as there's no harmful chemicals produced...

resized_STA70752.jpg

This is the result 3 hours later all I've done is wipe it over with a paper towel... :p

resized_STA70755.jpg

I'm a very happy bunny... The good thing is you can't over do it, obviously thicker rust takes longer and I've heard you can leave it for 48hrs or more, all you need to do when it's done is thoroughly dry it and protect it...

Give it a go!

Lee,

Do you really need such thick cables for the supply? The current flowing in the thin wires which you are hanging the pieces from should be the same as the current flowing from the supply. If it is not enough to melt the thin wire then the thick cable is probably overkill unless you are using very long lengths and need to minimise voltage drops.

Andrew

Excellent job on making your own de-rusting unit!

@andrewm: The wires do not need to that big. But using thicker wire then absolutely necessary reduces resistance between the anodes. The lower this resistance the more balanced the de-rusting will be.

DeltaCharlieGolf":g3d7ux2z said:
This maybe a stupid question, but will it work for aluminiumn composites?

Sorry I have no idea but I doubt it...

Way cool! Lots of plastic containers should be being emptied of lady tut and secreted in members workshops over the next few days. I just need to check she has one large enough for a No7 :lol:

Cheers Tom

I never use the word 'cool' out of principle. But I have to agree with Tommo, that is way cool !

:D
now just got to find something rusty

Tommo the sawdust maker":3q9lwzir said:
Way cool! Lots of plastic containers should be being emptied of lady tut and secreted in members workshops over the next few days. I just need to check she has one large enough for a No7 :lol:

Cheers Tom

Hi Tom

If you are serious about doing a No7 then just remember that this system works from inside out so if you have any rust under your original finish it will force it's way though and push off the paint it's a bit unforgiving this way but is brilliant at getting the rust off...

Ive heard about homemade ones before, But never really looked into how to make one, Ive been told theyre fansatic for cleaning old motorbike carbs.
If i can remember, Different solutions for different metals?

Seems a bit risky to me. The way I clean carbs is, (don't tell the wife) the dishwasher!

Roy.

Ive always used citric acid in the bath with a small amount of table salt.

LarryS":3eqf6ucs said:
I never use the word 'cool' out of principle. But I have to agree with Tommo, that is way cool !

:D
now just got to find something rusty

Man when I tell you she was cool, she was red hot
I mean she was steaming

Its a question of when you were miss-spending your youth I guess could be worse I remember thinking stuff was groovy too :lol:

Regards Tom

Digit":anc7g0ju said:
Seems a bit risky to me. The way I clean carbs is, (don't tell the wife) the dishwasher!
I pop my ceramic stones in the dishwasher when they get a bit cloged, brings then up lovely. :D

That's the benefit of loading the machine before going to bed and being the first up in the morning. :-$

DaveL":2bcre1qp said:
Digit":2bcre1qp said:
I pop my ceramic stones in the dishwasher when they get a bit cloged, brings then up lovely. :D

That's the benefit of loading the machine before going to bed and being the first up in the morning. :-$

See, 'significant other' never bothers if I do things like that, probably because it's always me that does the cleaning...

Whilst making mixture to ebonise some oak I put rusty nails in some white vinegar. a week later and the rust had gone! (just like Cillit Bang..or what ever its called) and the nails were shiny as new. Not what I wanted but I thought I'd add it to the post.

Back