Electro Borcic Steel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorting through a trunk (that I've had for ages) full of inherited tools from Grandfather/Father/Uncle I found this 1" chisel and another similar but a 5/8". They are both about 13" long.

Any ideas as to age and original use - the handles look a bit on the weak side for bashing with a mallet for morticing, but perhaps not . :?: What's Electro Borcic Steel? I did a Google search but found nothing very useful.

chisel.jpg

greaves.jpg

ebs.jpg

Hello,

A handbook entry about boric acid:

METALLURGY : Boron is used as a sealing for non-ferrous metals and used as a deoxidizer and degasifier in metallurgy. Because it absorbs neutrons. It is used in the production of steel. Traces of Ferro boron in boric steel increase its strength. Boron eliminates impurities in metallurgic systems, resulting in highly pure material to be used in electrical conductors especially.

Have a nice day,

János

Alf wrote: Somehow I can't imagine paring with that chisel...

Seems to me it's a chisel designed to be hit .... maybe somewhere between a mortice and a standard square chisel....

Back