Edward Preston 311

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molf7

Reaction score
Hi All.

This is my first post to the forum but have been a background browser for a while!

I was wondering if anybody has any information about a Preston 311 plane, I picked one up today and can't find much mention other than the later Record version. Anything appreciated.

Many Thanks, Andy

It's much rarer and more valuable than its Record and Clifton descendants!

Is there anything else you need to know?

Thanks for the reply.

Any ideas on the age? All the parts are marked with the number 17 and the preston logo on the leaver cap is red if that helps.

I don't intend to use it but have a few other preston bits and this caught my eye in a junk shop. Would it be detrimental to try and clean it?

I’ve got one:
xQQji0p.jpg

If I understand correctly the ones with the red logo on the handle are the older, rarer ones. I have no idea what they are worth in terms of cash but it’s a fabulous tool imho.

That's the one! And thanks for the extra info. Yours looks a bit cleaner than mine does at present. I would like to clean mine up a bit but don't want to loose any of the patina, just get the light surface rust off or stabilised, bit more research required on that before I take the plunge.

Anybody got a rough idea of value on these planes? (Interested to know if I've been fleeced or found a bargain!) I have searched the completed ebay listings but can't find any the same.

Yes the parts are all numbered and it has the original Preston iron. Can’t remember what the number is I’m afraid and am not in the shed at the moment. Will confirm next time I’m in there - if I remember! I’m in the process of finishing a coffee table for SWMBO and completing that is consuming all my shed time at the moment!!

By the way I don’t think the actual number is of any particular importance. I believe the parts were stamped with a number to ensure they all belonged to the same plane. It doesn’t mean you have the 17th plane made of this pattern as there are probably loads of No. 17s out there.

I'd say that Memzey's looks to be in ideal condition. Patinated but crisp and not rusty.
Molf7, if you are thinking of selling your plane and don't have any experience, the safest thing is not to clean at all. Certainly, don't be tempted to use any power tools, wire brushes or abrasives.

I don't know what your plane would sell for - but would guess somewhere between £100 and £200. It depends on who's selling and who's buying!

I think the numbering was done after a set of parts had been fitted together but before nickel plating, to distinguish one set of parts from the others being plated at the same time.

As for date, it wasn't in the 1908 catalogues or the supplements to it, so that puts it after 1912. Hampton's bought the design in about 1932, so it was probably in production for less than 20 years.

Memzey, yes I agree on the numbering, I believe it is probably a number to keep plane parts together during fetling in the factory. I have the original iron too, checked that out first!

AndyT, I don't plan to sell the plane but would like to make it look presentable for display. For me its more a case of trying to remove a bit of grime and prevent the ruat takjng over, no pitting at present. Memzey definitely has the kind of look I would like to achieve so will proceed with caution. Your guesstimate on value is useful to know and confirms I had a fair deal, bought this along with a Record 311 for £100, with the intention to sell the Record and recoup a bit of cash!

You got a bargain!
There's a sticky post listing some advice on cleaning old tools at the top of this section which might be useful.

9:7 on all of my parts:
iU2x4ZA.jpg

I wonder if one denotes month or batch and the other it’s sequence in the run?

That's interesting, your makings are a bit different. I'll try and put some pics of mine up tomorrow, mine doesn't have the colon between the numbers.

Molf7":3e1ezmnd said:
Would it be detrimental to try and clean it?
That's an interesting question and the answer is more complex than you might realise.

Some purists, many of whom are Tool Collectors, generally want tools in "original condition" or what they perceive that to be. In some cases this means they literally want to see undisturbed dust and even a recent honing is not desirable. Others aren't quite so anal so a plane that has been cleaned up, i.e. refurbished, sensitively is what they want to buy.

So in some cases any level of cleaning is too much, in others a multi-stage cleaning process that starts with rust removal and ends with wax polishing is not too much.

Now another way to looking at it is this: this is now your tool and you can do what the heck you like with it! This includes painting it purple or having it chrome plated and there are no Tool Police to stop you. Those are real-world examples of what some owners have done to planes BTW.

I suspect the value of Preston (and Record) 311's would be a higher if they still had all their bits. Not having the bull-nose front extension would reduce the value somewhat.

As the Clifton 3110 (which is almost a direct copy of the Preston) comes with long front section and short bull-nose piece, and a small set of shims to adjust the mouth width, it might be a better bet for someone wanting a working tool, but that's obviously not the point for the tool historian!

Latest posts

Back