Ebay madness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveW1000

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been keeping a eye on Ebay for Asham Rounders. This week four of the Griffin version of these appeared so have been watching with the intention of buying if the price was right. Currently Asham have them for sale at £72 each plus carriage. They all went for £102 each £30 over the new price. Don't think the Griffin version is that collectable. Great for the seller but £120 over the new price for the four? Wonder if people have heard of Google.

I have often seen the same on all manner of things sold on ebay

I think some people just get caught up in the thrill of the auction

Makes very little sense does it

I've been after a number 112 for a while, but they seem to always reach about 85 - 95% of the band new price. I'd rather just stump up the additional and get a new one at that price...

Frustrating, but I'll keep searching

When I use to go to auctions I've sat next to traders and seen items sold for more than the traders shop sold the item for. Can understand getting caught up when at an auction but on line I always see what the item sells for even for buy it now, on ebay buy it now prices can vary by 20% from traders.

On the other hand...... I once got caught up in an eBay auction and put a cheeky bid on not expecting to buy it. Imagine my surprise when I won the auction at well over a thousand pounds less that the expected price. Not however as surprised as SWMBO was when I had to explain to her that I had “accidentally” bought a BMW motorcycle and I had to go on a 200 mile rail journey to pick it up :shock:

My son was rather embarrassed when he was clearing some unused articles through ebay. One in particular, a clock, went for double the new price. He pointed this out to the buyer and gave him the opportunity to withdraw. The buyer went ahead!
Mind you, I've found that when items go for crazy prices you can often pick up the same thing quite cheaply as everyone rushes to cash in.
At least John was happy, though was your wife John?

It seems as time goes on, the disparity in price of items sold goes up, and items remaining listed up more from that (as in, an item may sell for $50-$100 over the course of three months, but if you don't check that, you'll only find that 20 are currently listed for the average price of $175 - despite the fact that none have sold for over $100).

The only real chance for a deal that I've seen in the last several years is individuals not doing a good job of picturing their item in the auction listing cover picture (or whatever you'd call it, the thumbnail? whatever it is....).

I knocked off a complete Stanley 289 over the weekend for about half of the average sale price, because the seller only pictured the body in the thumbnail, and didn't indicate in the title that the plane was complete (that could be seen only inside the listing by shuffling through the pictures). The bodies are common, the complete planes, not so much. I've been admiring them for a while, but not at the regular going rate.

I gather that the recent changes in listing requirements (moving toward taking away your ability to create your own listing if an item has a template) are intended to make ebay amazon II and more retail oriented than it already is. I guess that's where they make their money now, and it involves less post-sale service than two parties arguing about whether or not something was listed properly.

I'm as guilty as many, getting caught up in the auction mist and buying at too high a price.
There is a solution and a very successful one.
Decide on your maximum spend. Don't change it!
Download Gixen sniping app onto your laptop or phone.
Enter the relevant details of your target tool etc. Gixen will automatically bid for you during the last few seconds of the bidding process if you're bid is still in the game. It will only bid just enough to beat the last bid by the way.
Forget about it until the auction closes! Either you've won or you haven't but you haven't been suckered into auction frenzy. Gixen automatically tells you the result. Brilliant. I use it all the time and am very impressed with it.

Back