Dust extractor hose adaptor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan86

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Apologies in advance for my lack of technical knowledge on this, dust extraction systems are a dark art to me!

I've just bought a Clarke CPT1000 planer/thicknesser (https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... icknesser/). It has a dust extraction port of around 68mm inside diameter.

For general extraction with tools I've been using my Makita VC2012L (https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YHG8 ... UTF8&psc=1) which came with an adaptor for power tools only (something like a 30-40mm hose with a clip on rubber adaptor).

Is there an adaptor I can get to make the two compatible? It's only going to be for DIY and hobby use.

Thanks!

Planer thicknessers make more woodchippings than any other machine. I think your 30 mm hose will block constantly.

I have whats known as a luchbox thicknesser, rigged to 62 mm tubing, and although it does clear the waste, if the extractor is in need of cleaning, that hose does not cope.

Thought as much. Can you get things which go in between the two like a cyclone chip collector which could be driven by my current extractor? Something I can leave connected to the planer and just attach the vacuum to that instead?

A cyclone chip collector over a barrel works well, but it will only be as good as the suction applied to it. I doubt your small extractor would perform well on a planer.

Should I get a separate chip extractor then or is there a single mobile system that would work well for both the planer and other power tools? I'd be happy to sell the makita one if there was a better all-in-one solution as I have a small workspace.

(love your turtle box btw!)

Sorry Ivan but this is a common topic that has been discussed several times in the 6 months I've been visiting this board and many more before me. The consensus here is NO. Extracting machines (like your P/T) and power tools really require two different types of extractor and neither will do the job of the other. Searches for dust extractor and chip collector, and a sticky post by "Siggy" will tell you all you need.

Found that sticky myself just after my last post! Thanks for the help. I guess I will have a look for a suitable LPHV extractor then.

You dont need two seperate machines, but you DO need one with a 100 mm port.
i have a sip [with a 100 mm). but I run 62 mm pipe around my workshop and (providing the dust canister is not already full) it will operate all my machines fine. from a bandsaw and router table to the lunchbox thicknesser.

sunnybob":3qsn3yg6 said:
i have a sip [with a 100 mm). but I run 62 mm pipe around my workshop and (providing the dust canister is not already full) it will operate all my machines fine. from a bandsaw and router table to the lunchbox thicknesser.
He's talking about a machine running 60-100mm port machines, as well as ~30mm power tools though. The previous advice is sound - there's no one extractor that will handle these extremes very well (otherwise we'd all have one!)

FYI standard rainwater fittings are 63mm. Some brands are not compatible with others & are a slightly different size.

MattRoberts":2gqi2e38 said:
sunnybob":2gqi2e38 said:
He's talking about a machine running 60-100mm port machines, as well as ~30mm power tools though. The previous advice is sound - there's no one extractor that will handle these extremes very well (otherwise we'd all have one!)

Matt, something must be wrong with my machine.
i have a bandsaw with two x 100 mm ports. I blocked one off and use only the upper of the two.
I have a router table with built in 100 mm port.
I have a lunch box thicknesser that had a bl;oody stupid 50 mm port that did block before I expanded it to 62 mm.
I have a combi mitre / table saw that I have rigged both 30 mm ports into a 62 mm port. All run through 62 mm piping and 62 mm blast gates, and a 62 mm cyclone, into a 100 mm port on the sip.
How do I tell that sip that it cant possibly be doing what its doing as well as its doing it :?: :shock: :D

Hence the 'very well' part of my comment Bob ;)

I've no doubt that one extractor can be Jerry rigged to for all machine sizes, but it will never perform as well on both extremes as a separate chip extractor and a vac will.

Ultimately it comes down to individual needs - if your setup does all you need, then it's perfect for you :)

Which SIP is it Bob ? Sounds like I want one !
You mention a cannister so i assume it's a shop vac style. I wouldn't expect the pressure loss through your cyclone and "choking" a 100mm dust port down to 60mm (about 1/3 the area) to affect it much. But then I wouldn't expect it to move enough air to be effective on the planer. I've tried a shop vac straight to my 10x8 PT. Have to stop and clear it every couple of cuts. Totally impractical. The problem isn't the 50mm hose, that doesn't block, it just doesn't provide enough airflow so chips accumulate inside the PT instead of being swept out by the draught.
I do wonder if a twin motor shop vac would work but the good ones are more expensive than an hvlp and still only have a fraction of the airflow so not hopeful.

Theres a pic of the extractor, cabinet, and cyclone in this thread.
topic112639.html
i think its an 0190?

I bought this when I started, with no knowledge or planning (I did not know about this site at that time) Its magic.
from the extractor to my 12" jet thicknesser the pipe work goes from 100, down to 75 mm into the traffic cone cyclone. It comes out in 62 mm and goes through a couple metres of 62, takes a 90 degree tee off, through a blast gate, and then 5 metres of ridged flexible hose to the modified 62 mm hole on the cutter head.

Regardless of what I am planing, it has never jammed.
Oh, one time it did, and I was a bit concerned, but realised I had not emptied the container for a long while.
When i checked, the box under the cyclone was full to the top, and when I undid the lid on the extractor bin I couldnt actually pull the top off because there was so much chippings in there it had compacted against the air cleaner. I filled two black dustbin bags from that episode (2 x 60 litre bin bags, from a system that only holds 70 litres total. Thats how compacted it was).
I have done more than my fair share of complaining about woodworking machinery, but that little gem has never let me down
I think that sounds like the kiss of death, but hey.

Back