Dust extraction for Planer/Thicknesser and table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prae5

Reaction score
Santa was very good to me this year and left me a Record Power PT260 :)

I only have a shop vac that I use with my track saw and other tools, so I need to get a dust/chip extractor.

I’ve been looking at the record power dx4000 - does anyone have any experience with this or any other recommendations? I’m a little limited in space, so would prefer something compact if possible.

I’d also like to hook it up to a couple of blast gates so I can use it for a few other tools.

Thanks!

The DX4000 will struggle with a planer thicknesser, you really need a HVLP chip extractor, to effectively work with that type of equipment, I tried to use my 2400 watt Numatic with the PT and it just could not cope, eventually bought an Axminster FM300BC with the cartridge filter: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... eal-717658 this has been excellent, according to what you are machining you may not need the cartridge filter in which case it will bring the price down to below the cost of the DX4000.

Mike

I use a DX4000 with a similar 10" P/T. It does the job - it depends what other tools you want to use it with as well. The multi-motor vacuum extractors offer good filtration, but they are noisy, have low airflow for most machines but will overheat if used with a lot of power tools because the small ducts are too restrictive. They also use a lot of power. A smaller extractor for power tools and a proper chip extractor (with fine filtration if necessary) will together be a much better solution for most workshops.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

A thicknesser requires around 1000 cfm.
Add to this about 20% duct/ hose/ fittings losses and this is what you
should be looking for in the manufacturer's specifications.

The DX4000 is only a 380m3/hr vacuum even Record Power put it in the "can be used" category not in the "Recommended" category in their own documentation, I could not find in the RP manual for your PT any recommendations for the m3/hr extraction rate, this is unusual and I can only assume its because they did not wish to discount any of their lower extraction rate units, the Numatic I tried was 450m3/hr and I found it insufficient, the chip extractor I linked to is 2000m3/hr and works in the "Absolutely fabulous" category, it can be an expensive mistake to buy the wrong tool, especially when you can get a better tool for the same cost.

Mike

In terms of large tools, i only really have the P/T and a mitre saw. I'll be adding a new table saw to the mix in the next month or so.

All other power tools are handheld (tracksaw, domino, routers, sanders, jigsaw, etc...).

My intention had been to setup a single dust extraction unit to handle all devices, but perhaps this isn't the best option.

dzj":3d5s8qvh said:

Oh 1000cfm that 60,000cf/hr that's some serious extractor. LOL

:oops: Got my cubic feet and cubic meters mixed, my excuse is I always work in metric.

Mike

MikeJhn":deesmxus said:
dzj":deesmxus said:

Oh 1000cfm that 60,000cf/hr that's some serious extractor. LOL

Mike
?
1000 cfm +~20% comes to 2038 m3/h, which is what you also suggest.

A 10 inch planer thicknesser should only require about 350 CFM, not 1000. Be cautious about what manufactures state is the required air flow in both machines and extractors - they're often quite different to reality!

Cubic feet and Cubic meters in the same thread is not playing fair with this old pensioner. :oops:

Mike

Anyway, most will agree nowadays that 1000cfm is the optimum for a small shop that will
achieve both chip and dust extraction.

Back