Dubuque Sash clamps vs Screwfix - Fine Tools, Germany

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered some of the Dubuque sash clamps from Fine Tools in Germany to see how they compare to the cheap Screwfix ones. They are a fair amount more expensive, but generally they seem to be a lot better.

I threw up a video with some initial impressions...

(Camera angle isn't ideal)

https://youtu.be/sLPAzcjqqAU

Thanks for the YouTube review, nice to see some lesser known brands in a format where you can actually see the quality, and the Dubuque bar clamps look very nice indeed, though a tad expensive.

The problem you're having with the Screwfix clamps isn't the thread sticking/painted up etc, it's that wretched mini-bolt thats holding the head to the screw thread, take it off and you'll instantly see what I mean. The bolt grinds against the little 'U' channel at the end of the thread, and that in turn creates a burr, the burr catches against the clamp head housing, and that creates the impression the thread sticks.

Hope this is of some help, and BTW, the 24" clamps are currently £4.99 at Screwfix :D

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sash-clamp-24/23233

Check out the Paul Sellers video on improving these clamps...

[youtube]AyKiGmRq3wY[/youtube]

I filed the leading edges off mine and they were like completely different clamps.

NazNomad":32ppse8s said:
Check out the Paul Sellers video on improving these clamps...

[youtube]AyKiGmRq3wY[/youtube]

I filed the leading edges off mine and they were like completely different clamps.

Yeah, I mention it in my video

thick_mike":3qe1l79c said:
Click and collect and hardly any branches have stock :(

That would be because they are in the sale, and have been for a week or two now, my local store had 8 last week, and plenty more stock locally. Should I not have bothered posting? :?

JSW":38ll3s82 said:
thick_mike":38ll3s82 said:
Click and collect and hardly any branches have stock :(

That would be because they are in the sale, and have been for a week or two now, my local store had 8 last week, and plenty more stock locally. Should I not have bothered posting? :?

No, definitely post, I was just disappointed as I didn’t spot it earlier.

I bought 4 of the Dubuque clamps from Axminster some years ago and they remain my favorites amongst a large selection of good old and cheap new ones. I have 6 of the cheap Screwfix style as discussed here. The problem I had with them was that the head at the screw end would rack and jam. The solution was to cut off the lower bit of the head which wraps under the bar. I couldn't work out why this is provided - many sash clamps including the Dubuque do not have this feature.

Latest posts

Back