Drying out wet OSB

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just put up a timber framed shed, built to Mike G's specs, so the OSB is fitted to the internal side.

Some panels I used were 11mm and one wall was 18mm. As the job has taken longer than expected, some of the OSB had gotten wet whilst being stored - some more than others. Trying to lift a wet 18mm board on your own is no joke!!! Most of the 11mm seems to be dried out but a little discoloured but there seems to be one stubborn 18mm panel that still looks a little moist (I don't have a moisture meter so I can't tell for certain).

Do you think I should get a dehumidifier running or do i need to dry it out by heating it up?

I successfully dried out some water damaged chipboard flooring with a heat gun but that had only had light water spillage and it was in a small area.

Any advise on what route would be the best to take - I'd rather not spend 10+ days with the dehumidifier running if I could spend half a day with a heat gun, if you know what I mean - I just want to be efficient with my time as I want to crack on and get it painted asap.

I've not used it for shed making, but if it's got too wet, it may 'fail' some way down the line. If it's possible/practical, I'd pull it out and replace it - it'd be a real PITA if it fails when you've moved in.

If it's still sound, it'll probably dry out in its own sweet time

Sorry I can't be of more help

I wouldn't worry it should dry out in time and be fine. I have a shed roof that was roofing felt over OSB. The felt got damaged in a storm and the OSB was left exposed to the element for a few years. Finally got around to fixing the roof and the OSB has remained sound.

What is the need to speed the drying? Time should do the job fine. If you need to speed things along I would go down the dehumidifier route with a bit of warmth if possible.

I too have seen OSB used to frame a house that has stood for over 5 years open to the elements and although I’ve not inspected it close up, it’s still standing. I don’t have issues with the material failing over time.

The reason to speed it up was just so I could paint it really. I suppose I could leave that panel until into fully dried out in th summer.

Back