Drill bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get some good quality drill bits to go with my Wera driver bits. Any suggestions on the best makes to go for. I'd rather have a set of 6 good quality bits than 30 bits made of cheese.

So any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my drills for metal as well as wood, I'm very impressed with my Dormer set (A002).

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Do not waltz down the Lidl "Aisle of Dreams" for drill bits, they are made of cheese and it will cost you more in fuel to return them as you surely will!

Instead spend £1 on delivery and order these bits from Axminster,

FISCH 8 piece SP Wood Twist Drill Bit Set,

for £15 odd and rejoice in a set of superb drills made in Austria out of proper steel. I did the review and would recommend these to anyone who wants a precision set at a very reasonable price.

I have the very cheap drill bits (Brad point type) but use them only occasionally so they last me quite a long time. I keep thinking about upgrading to something like Fisch - an idea for next Christmas!

John

I've always bought drill bits as I need them rather than buying sets. The best place to buy them are engineering suppliers like Buck & Hickman and Cromwell tools, they normally tend to sell well known respected brands like Dormer and Presto.

I would seriously think about a set like this -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/170-piece-Tita ... ll+bit+set

I use this as an example only, although it could be worth the little bit of a premium for the DIN No. (The Ruko set (Amazon) looks good, I believe them to be a fairly decent brand)
I had a cheap one about 15 years ago and there is more in it now than there was when it was new - once in a while I sit with a mic. and sort all the odd acquired ones out and put them away. It is surprising when doing repairs, bodges and tapping how useful the 1/2mm sizes are. If you run out of, blunt or break certain sizes such as 3mms for pop rivets and 6mms for hole saws, replace them with ten packs from a decent supplier. I'm going to get the cobalt set, though (as well :D ), as I find myself using more metal.

DiscoStu, not too far from you is a discount outlet called InExcess that sell amongst other things drill bits. They have recently been selling "builders brand" HSS Co split point drill bits. These are HSS with Cobalt and cut very nicely. Cost was around 90p for a 10mm bit. They had around half a dozen sizes from 7 to 12.5mm the last time I was in there.

Edit. Your nearest store is north of you in West End.

https://www.in-excess.com

Simou1":3h0lgwb6 said:
Do not waltz down the Lidl "Aisle of Dreams" for drill bits, they are made of cheese and it will cost you more in fuel to return them as you surely will!

Instead spend £1 on delivery and order these bits from Axminster,

FISCH 8 piece SP Wood Twist Drill Bit Set,

for £15 odd and rejoice in a set of superb drills made in Austria out of proper steel. I did the review and would recommend these to anyone who wants a precision set at a very reasonable price.

Thought it may help to post a link, as oddly they are not in the section for drill bit sets. If you do not want all the sizes the set only saves you pennies over individual drill purchases, so would be worth just buying the ones you need.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/fisch-8-piec ... set-502125

Terry.

Thanks for all the info. I think I might get some Fisch bits. I've got one of their 7mm for pen blanks and it's excellent so that's a good option for me. Thanks

Mark A":7pudp8kg said:
How clean do you need the holes?

For rough work these are pretty decent as they're incredibly aggressive and fast cutting.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/hss-dri ... and=dewalt

Good for drilling joists, but probably bad for pilot drilling little hinges.

For tidy holes Wealdens sell wood bits for a good price.

I also favour the Dewalt Extreme for general use - they seem to last a long time and I like that I can get individual sizes to keep a full set stocked. However, concur with Mark A that they are very aggressive - the drill can grip in the workpiece and twist you around with you, so use with caution!

I am currently using Fisch auger bits, and Fisch wood drill bits. They are sharp, well machined, and accurate. My experience of using large drill bit sizes for timber framing and external joinery work is that cheap bits are pretty hopeless. Even the Axminster own branded ones are not brilliant (shafts bend easily).

How about Planet Plus, up the road from you (down from me) in Chandlers Ford?

As well as the Forsner bits, they also do Lip and Spur bits that they sell as individuals, or in 5 packs

Chris

I tend to be a bit promiscuous in my purchase of drill bits.

I have a set of the Aldi ones and they are not the worst by any means.
My best ones are Festool and Famag,
I have a set of Hilka - absolute unmitigated trash, dont know why I have not thrown them out yet...

Latest posts

Back