Dowel plate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how thick is it andy? Is it just a straight hole, tapered by a round file?

marcros":2zuzur64 said:
how thick is it andy? Is it just a straight hole, tapered by a round file?

It's 5mm and the holes are straight. It's not the best that could be made, but it was good enough when I needed it. Sometimes I agonise too long over things, but not always!

From what I have read...and cannot now find...when drilling the holes do not put a backing piece on the plate. That way the break-through is a burr and aids in cutting the dowel.

Jim

The difference between hot-rolled and colled-rolled is that one is rolled at forging heat - red heat or hotter - then allowed to cool, and the other is finish-rolled at room temperature. The consequences are that the hot-rolled stuff develops a black scale as it cools, but is usually less prone to locked-in surface stresses. The cold-rolled stuff is hot rolled oversize first, then allowed to cool, pickled to remove the scale, and finished with light passes through the rollers to bring it to size and give a good, shinyish surface finish. This process work-hardens the surface and locks in stresses, so if one surface is subsequently worked by filing or machining it off, the stress release can cause the piece to distort, usually with a mild banana-like bend.

By the way, there are hundreds of grades of steel available, many of them supplied in hot rolled, colled rolled or cold drawn forms. A bit of scrap could be almost any of them, so don't be too surprised by unusual working properties. If what you're doing needs critical machining or welding, it's much better to buy new material of the appropriate grade from a steel stockholder.

I think a dowel plate for occasional use could well be made of mild steel - it would be quick and cheap enough to replace if it wore much anyway. For something expected to work harder, a hardening grade of steel would be better; gauge plate (most of which is 01 grade) hardened and tempered to a spring temper would probably do very nicely, though through-hardening a 1/4" or 3/8" piece really needs a muffle furnace or similar.

Well this one has run well :eek: I dont actually 'need' a dowel plate atm - I just keep seeing these bits of plate and thinking 'that would make a nice dowel plate'.

After thinking that I went and had a look at LN dowel plate prices and thought YHAFL, hence my question here now. If a dowel plate can be sharpened by flattening the face then maybe thick mild steel isnt a bad choice for the hobby wood worker. Drill the sizes you want, maybe counterbore from the other side with a bit a touch larger - if its blunt after a while grind/stone/file over the top face of the holes and your good to go for you next project???

I have one I made years ago out of piece of steel I had in the workshop not sure what the steel was but I do remember it took some drilling. I confess I bought a LN a couple of years ago as mine does not look so profesisonal in front of students. £50 later it is no better than my shop made one!

AndyT":4aeh1727 said:
Here's mine, to demonstrate that you don't need exceptional metal working skills to make something that works!

IMG_1833_zps7e77e2ec.jpg

The steel was bought from a scrapyard and was quite hard - what's the difference between hot and cold-rolled? Could it be whichever one is harder?

The most important thing is to get a sharp edge to the holes, which I did just by filing and scraping across the surface.

I've used similar techniques to "sharpen" the cutters of my Spong kitchen mincer.

I use a dowel plate (vintage, cheap, natch) which is not fixed down. I made a endgrain block from a piece of firewood, with a dado which fits the plate (loosely).

There's a hole drilled down through the block to accept the formed dowel, and the plate is placed with the desired hole over it. Since the working force is vertical, the plate stays more or less inplace, and (further) as soon as the formed dowel enters the hole, the plate is even more likely to stay put.

One of the nice things about a dowel plate is the ability to use the same timber for the dowels as the main pieces in an item.

BugBear

If anyone wants a bit of mild steel plate to try making one or two, drop me a PM and a self addressed/stamped up envelope.

Might even be able to muster up a few bits of hardox plate, but cant remember what grade it is though.

We don't keep bright flat unfortunately.

Well I've been hunting round at work the last few days and havent found much else thats any good, some leaf springs yes - but their still attached to a scrapper lorry atm and I need to wait and see whats happening with it before cutting them :)

I'm going to save a bit of thick plate in case I feel like having a go with mild steel, thing with this job is the oddest things turn up at the oddest times so I'll bide my time see what crops up. On a brighter note I've found some casters and possably a screw that I can use for a wagon vice on my bench build so not a dead loss.

One last thought for the day, how about drilling out some old hex sockets (ala socket set) to punch the wood through? the steel must be pretty good even in cheap efforts, as long as you can devise a way to hold them (regular steel plate with holes to suit) of course....

promhandicam":214yfhxz said:
I wish you luck - and a good supply of drill bits - trying to drill a truck leaf spring.

Heat to Cherry Red and let cool slowly (in barbeque embers) to soften it.
Then reheat as suggested HERE

Back