Dongle again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a new desktop (not so many on sale these days, more laptops) I am wanting a wireless system.
Does the wireless operate all wireless hardware or are they hardware dedicated and does the same apply to a dongle please?

If you get yourself a wireless AC dongle (ac is the important bit as that's the type) then you will be sorted.

Id recommend the Dell outlet if you're looking to buy a complete system.

At the present time I have three pieces of hardware that can use wireless, is one dongle all that is needed and does that also apply to wireless pc, a little confused with first reply.

Each device needs it's own wireless adapter in order to connect to your WiFi. If a device doesn't have one built in, you can get a USB dongle instead.

So if any of those devices have wireless built in, you're fine, otherwise it's an adapter for each. Also, wireless hardware is backwards compatible, so even if you have old hardware, it will all work with your WiFi

I have one of these for my desktop :

NETGEAR A6210-100PES AC1200 802.11ac Dual Band (300/867 Mbps) High Gain Wi-Fi USB 3.0 Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OT586RQ/ ... UAbRMZZNF4

Thanks, so my newish printer Epson would not need an adaptor it is wireless enabled but my keyboard and mouse need adaptors, but my Wacom tablet would not need an adaptor if it comes wireless enabled.

There are three ways computers connect wirelessly to peripherals like keyboards, mice, tablets, TV's and of course the internet (broadband router etc).
1. WiFi
2. Bluetooth.
3.USB dongle
If your prospective new PC has wifi (99.9% will) and a Bluetooth connection (50/50) and plenty of USB ports it will connect wirelessly to any peripheral you have now.

Some peripherals (your Wacom?) have dongles that you connect to the PC usually via a USB connection so as long as there are enough USB ports you are good to go.

Most new PCs will have 3 or more USB connections but you can expand that with a USB hub (a 4 into 1 type thing). More is better .

Thanks Nev.
I am still undecided re new PC, I did have my eye on one at Amazon and it said amazon prime next to the price.
So I investigated A Prime (a 30 day trial I downloaded) and that was supposed to give me next day delivery plus a 30 return agreement.
So me thinks I could try it for 20 days and if happy keep, if unhappy can I really return?

When I returned the prime option is not now next to the price. So its in my mind to consider my next option.

devonwoody":1bwbima7 said:
Thanks, so my newish printer Epson would not need an adaptor it is wireless enabled but my keyboard and mouse need adaptors, but my Wacom tablet would not need an adaptor if it comes wireless enabled.
Worth nothing that wireless can refer to wireless over WiFi, or wireless over Bluetooth. Most peripherals are wireless over Bluetooth.

Printer will be WiFi so won't need an adapter, the keyboard and mouse will be wireless via Bluetooth not WiFi, so assuming your pc has Bluetooth they will connect fine to that. They may also come with their own Bluetooth dongle, so even if your pc doesn't have Bluetooth built in, you can plug in the dongles and crack on.

Wacom tablet will also likely be Bluetooth or just a USB cable connection.

That's why I thought I would take the Amazon prime offer of free return within the 30 days and see what did work, and I want to change anyway in the near future.
I want to go back to a top end Wacom tablet/stylus which I cannot on my present PC.

devonwoody":3lv6bgeg said:
I want to go back to a top end Wacom tablet/stylus which I cannot on my present PC.
Can you explain why? Updating your PC shouldn't be necessary to add a peripheral unless you have a truly old pc.

Brandlin, thatsa very long story, Wacom could not solve it, the local IT shop could not either its something to do with the motherboard which does not allow entry to BIOS (gigabyte 970A d3 a reported vault) etc. etc.
But I am running an old Bamboo tablet from its original disk. the intuos models are downloadable drivers and I cannot get them in. (A reported problem and refunds from Wacom and amazon in the past)

Back