Don't put your tractors in a line.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racers":2rig2fn3 said:
I had to do the bearings and repace the body of the ELU beause the top bearing had mented the plastic!
My other MOF177 also had new bearings.
I have replced the bearings in 4 routers so far, its an east fix.
The router in my router table came of the of the skip at work!

Pete

I had the same problem with a DW 625e, the Elu 177 replacement. The top bearing seized and melted the surrounding plastic. I managed to get away without replacing anything other than the bearings but unfortunately, the electronic speed control now doesn't work on that router. Not an issue as I only use it for jobs where I would be running the router at its maximum RPM anyway.

It's reassuring that this issue doesn't only apply to those of us who prefer hand tools...

20160119_110047_zpsotz5g8jq.jpg

:lol:
It appears that Pete M is our very own Trigger with that Elu having 6 new collets, 3 new bearings, 4 new handles and a new body but still the same old trusty original machine grandad bought back '68

I stupidly threw out my large Elu router when it had an electrical problem that at the time I was not capable of diagnosing. Regret that as not long afterwards I found a good tool repair guy. Have also had an AEG for a good many years, which is nearly as good as the Elu tools. In my router table is a Trend, which is OK and my workhorse is a 1/2" Hitachi similar to the green one in the picture. Very tough and reliable tool. Also have an old Stanley trimmer that I have not used for years.

Had not realised I have several routers :shock:

Droogs":2vixqm0a said:
:lol:
It appears that Pete M is our very own Trigger with that Elu having 6 new collets, 3 new bearings, 4 new handles and a new body but still the same old trusty original machine grandad bought back '68
:D

My dad still has a makita 3600 which he bought new. He can’t remember when he bought it, but he recalls I was very young at the time. So it’s proper old then :|
According to him, the only thing that’s been changed is the collet.
I’d probably agree as it’s not the nicest router to use but it gets the job done.

doctor Bob":mnmaxar4 said:
I've got too many, probably about 30 x 1/2".
Should sell half of them really.
Don't really know how I ended up with so many, often buy 3 or 4 at a time and send 3-4 off for repair and suddenly loads of them. Festool and dewalt mainly.

Is that true or are you having a jolly jape? :)

AndyT":z9ll4rzo said:
It's reassuring that this issue doesn't only apply to those of us who prefer hand tools...

The only way I'd get that little lot past my missus is to say I'm collecting because they're worthless individually but valuable as a collection.
I take the easy option and hide stuff away as when I'm deceased I won't be able to feel my ears burning. :wink:

That's only one corner. It doesn't show the other shelves, drawers and boxes... ;)

Garno":3074pyt7 said:
doctor Bob":3074pyt7 said:
I've got too many, probably about 30 x 1/2".
Should sell half of them really.
Don't really know how I ended up with so many, often buy 3 or 4 at a time and send 3-4 off for repair and suddenly loads of them. Festool and dewalt mainly.

Is that true or are you having a jolly jape? :)

Yes true, I have a fixed router in tables for every main operation we do, so chamfer, round over, bead, groove, rebate, profile and a scribe, so thats 7-8 there, routers with cutters in which never change, hinge cutter x 2, small "v", bullnose. etc plus about 10 just loose.
Labour is my most expensive resourse, changing cutters on a regular basis is more expensive that buying a dung load of routers. These have been accumulated over 20 years and from many auctions.
Routers break as well so we have a constant repair pile.

Trainee neophyte":1413h5dn said:
This is NOT my router table, but I have a hankering, as they say.

Perhaps next year...
Why would you want that TN?
Unless you're doing repetitive identical cuts of small sections in volume the setup is a waste of space or are you thinking of moving into production woodworking?

Genuine question as I wouldn't give it a second thought for my workshop. I have 4 routers these days, a DW biggy, Elu middling and little Makita baby plus an unused generic 1/2" somewhere I was gifted.

Back