Dominion lathe name and motor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant Phil.

Apparently the lathe has 'a No. 3 Morse taper socket nose' - will that be the hole into which I need to fit the arbor? I can measure the actual size when I go see the lathe, to be sure.

edit - and is there any way I could get an arbor that would allow me to achieve 1 x 8 thread? That's the size of chucks I have now.

I suppose it would be possible to weld it up to the required diameter - it's only 1/16" all round - and turn it round again. It's probably more accurately threaded on a lathe especially if you a register of some sort machining. Maybe post the problem in Metalworking? Some kind person might offer to do the job for you for beer tokens. :D
Incidentally - trawl the net, you might find one somewhere with a slightly larger blank end.

Ideal. That would be big enough to machine a shoulder on for a register too. If it works out (no reason why it shouldn't) don't forget to put a plastic washer between the centre and the chuck - you'll have one hell of a job parting them otherwise.

I've got that lathe, running it via an inverter and dual voltage motor,

I've made two attachments to enable a chuck to fit

obUfm0e.jpg

KretwrZ.jpg

CTBuDSZ.jpg

sXOS1ko.jpg

ny5cKEV.jpg

2YjaJ1M.jpg

9sxDmGm.jpg

one is aluminium the other steel however i have got an engineering lathe which helps

re a hole through the headstock, unfortunately this lathe does not have one neither does the tailstock

I cant really take any more pics at the moment as there are two gates leaning up against it partway through painting

if you do get it and turn it into a dedicated bowl lathe I would be interested in the sliding saddle

If I can help in any way please do not hesitate to contact me I'm in NW kent near Gravesend

phil.p":1bh8sk1i said:
No hollow spindle. Damn. :(
#-o Sorry Phil - you were working with inadequate info provided by me. I just went to take a look and sure enough, the hole at centre of the drive shaft thing only goes about 4" deep.

Thanks for the pics, katellwood, heartened that you found a way to do it. I'm struggling to get a clear picture in my head of what you've done - is it a sleeve that screws onto the existing thread and then drops down to a thread that allows the chuck to be attached as normal?
The lathe would be on loan unfortunately so I wouldn't be able to replace the existing shaft unless I could return it after, or in a position to sell any parts that I don't need to use.

Thanks again, both.

I really thought we'd nearly got there!

Just for info, this is what the lathe has at present - apparently 2" x 4 1/2 tpi.
IMG_1766.jpg

oh, and that's the leather drive belt hanging out of the back... :)

Attachments

• IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 266
Would a collar like this work?
IMG_1767.jpg

(The wibbly lines indicate thread, of course.)

Attachments

• IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    867.2 KB · Views: 237
Would it be easy enough to have one made up and, if so, could I expect it to be solid? Would stainless steel be the way to go?

Oh, it would be solid. It wouldn't need to be stainless, just a half decent grade of steel. You don't need to worry about the overhang on a machine like that - I find the overhang sometimes an advantage as it spaces the workpiece further from the headstock.

Right - that might be the solution to the chuck question! Really appreciate your thoughts, Phil.

I'm going to spend some time looking into vfd inverters and motors (the lathe needs a new motor as the old one's missing) to see what the overall cost would be. Drives Direct looks a good place to start reading. I think I'd pay someone to set it up for me rather than try to figure it for myself - it's good to know your own limits. :) (That said, I saw this video which is incredibly helpful on setting them up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmHRD_KJNfw )

If it looks like it's going to be possible, I'll post an update.

your drawing, thats exactly what mine is. my original lathe was a poolewood 40-20 with a 1 1/2 x 6tpi, mine is made of aluminium which is easy to turn and has not wavered once in 10 yrs.

My chuck has both LH and RH threads so on the outboard I turned a 1 1/2 x 6 LH thread. (this ones steel due to the smaller section).

Thanks katellwood - I thought maybe what I was drawing was what you'd made but wasn't sure. (It also occurred to me, looking again at my drawing, that if we ever did go ahead and get a metal lathe and I tried to make the part myself, the drawing of the thread could turn out to be accurate.:) )

Can I ask what inverter you opted for on yours?

Latest posts

Back