Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Bm101
I've just used my eclipse saw set to make my mrs expensive Japanese knives much more efficient thanks to this thread and some thinking outside of the box.
She has them professionally sharpened 2 monthly as a keen amateur chef and reckons the edges can't be bettered (I know! Ridiculous right!?!) but wait till she sees what I've done to improve all 5 of them. Only took me 2 hours to make sure they will no longer get stuck in the cut.
She tells me not to use them but this will show her I know what I'm doing.
By Trevanion
Hope you’ve got a big suitcase! :lol:
By Tris
All you need in the kitchen is a side axe- flat bit to crush garlic, curved bit to chop everything else. Anything it won't go through just needs boiling another day or so :lol:
By Cheshirechappie
Tris wrote:All you need in the kitchen is a side axe- flat bit to crush garlic, curved bit to chop everything else. Anything it won't go through just needs boiling another day or so :lol:

Now you've been and gone and done it!

Next thing we know, there'll be some wazzock advertising ceramic-bladed side-axes with exotic hardwood handles. Only £1,000 a pop! :lol:
By Tris
Cheshirechappie wrote:
Tris wrote:All you need in the kitchen is a side axe- flat bit to crush garlic, curved bit to chop everything else. Anything it won't go through just needs boiling another day or so :lol:

Now you've been and gone and done it!

Next thing we know, there'll be some wazzock advertising ceramic-bladed side-axes with exotic hardwood handles. Only £1,000 a pop! :lol:

Don't forget the novelty head shaped block
By Bm101
*carefully writes down in ideas notebook*
cer..a.. mic-bladed siiiideaxes with exotic Haaaaard woooood handles. Full stop.
On...ly £1,000 a pop!
Nb* Nov..el..ty shaped heads...
By ED65
Bm101 wrote:*carefully writes down in ideas notebook*
cer..a.. mic-bladed siiiideaxes with exotic Haaaaard woooood handles. Full stop.
On...ly £1,000 a pop!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
By Jimson
I do, and it's my first post. Perhaps I don't get the joke yet ...

Anyway, if anyone can help - I want to re-grind the primary angles on some bevel edged chisels and a couple of plane irons to 25 degrees. I haven't been able to do it myself even with the coarsest papers and have made a bit of a mess of them. There's a local service which will do them using a surface grinder. Is this likely to overheat and damage the steel in the chisels and plane irons? The man at the shop said he would do it without taking much off and so thought he could do them without damage, but I'm not so sure. Any advice much appreciated. Many thanks.
By D_W
You'll be in the same place soon again if you do that - I think you're far better off continuing on until you get the hang of grinding a primary angle on them.