DIY MFT top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solidmind

Established Member
Reaction score
I made my own version of the Festool MFT some time ago, and thought to share how I did the holes, since that is a question I often get.

00.png

The end result, even though it has been modified with an built in Router table since the picture was taken. But that is for a later thread.

0_MFT_template.png

I got the inspiration using "dogs" from one of the Festool forums. The problem many had was how to make the holes parallel and accurate. Some invented great techniques solving the problem, but I wanted a simpler method. So I came up with this, a square with 25 holes accuratly spaced according to the original MFT. I made 2 kind of "dogs", one set for locking the template when routing and one set of "dogs" for normal work.

1.png

A 30 mm copy ring and a 20mm routerbit was ordered

2.png

Ring and routerbit in place, the template is carefully aligned with the corner and edges of the MFT top

3.png

First hole routed, and perhaps now you can see why the first row has a countersunk hole :)

4.png

First locking "dog" in place and flush with the templates top surface.

5.png

First row finished with the 3 locking "dogs". The template sits rock solid!

5_5.png

All the holes are cut

6.png

Now, the locking dogs are removed and the template is moved so that the first row of the template is aligned with the last row that was cut. The locking "dogs" secures the template ones again.

7.png

Another angle

8.png

Done and finished!

This template can of course be made with as many rows and columns as desired. and I wanted it in acrylic. But the company that laser cut this had this 10mm metal plate laying around so I took that instead!

Take care
/Matt
http://www.solidmind.se

Hi Aidan!

Bought 2x2m alu profiles from Festool. Not the new MFT profile with the "V thingy" but the old one. Cut these into 2x800mm and 2x1200mm.

Thanks Chris... I had it made at a mechanical workshop. It´s amazing what good coffee and sandwiches for the employed at the workshop can do for the price :-D . This was a 10mm stainless steel plate that was laying around their shop.

Been doing some modification on my MFT/Wagon lately. Since I´m short of space I was thinking about integrating my router into the MFT somehow. Came up with some ideas
0.png

So I went to work! (hammer)

Placed the Routerlift where I wanted it and lay some scrap pieces of MDF tightly to the routerplate. The MDF pieces has some double sided tape on them.
1.png

2.png

3.png

Drilled 4 holes in the corner and cutout the centerpiece with a HANDSAW!!! :)
4.png

Used the Routerplate as a depth indicator
5.png

Done
6.png

Testfitting
7.png

"Lika a gloooove" (Jim Carrie style) - Perfect fit
8.png

Trying it with my INCRA fence
9.png

First test routing. No dustextraction since my dad borrowed my CT26 so it´s kind of a mess.

I will install added dustextraction later on.
10.png

Since this MFT also is my assembly table I had to somehow make the INCRA fence easy to install and remove, so I came up with the idea of a mini MFT plate mounted on the INCRA base.
It works really well. Installation is a matter of seconds, Scchweet!
11.jpg

12.jpg

I lock it with my 6 "bench dogs" and for added security I can use nuts and bolts to really clamp it down.
13.jpg

So this is the current status. I added a routerbits drawer for storage.
14.png

15.png

Take care!

that looks absolutely great!!!! how are you finding axminster router lift? where did you source out parts for mft?

Thanks Alex! I find the lift absolutely great. I bought the lift together with a 2000W Dewalt router. If your going for this solution I would recommend to also buy the Axminster Router Collet Extension which makes it possible to change bits with ease above the table
The Festool parts I bought at my Festool dealer. . Look in the spare parts section

Thanks for reply I'm considering getting a lift since I already have dw625, I've already tried a few online distributers with no luck I might ring a local tool dealer see if he can help

Hi Gary

I made 4pcs of 90deg steel brackets. Drilled holes so that it matched the MFT corners. The bracket is then secured to the top of the "cart". Used wingnuts so that it´s easy to remove. Took a screens shot from my 3D model. If you want me to I can take photographs of it so that you see more details

Bracket.png

PS To the right you can see my next jig that I´m making... (hammer)

I see where to get MFT Profile Rails and how the corners attach to the table, but where did you get the corners that attach to the rails?

Thx.

Karl

That's a really good top and trolley. Does the fence sit 18mm above the MFT top when it's attached. Geoff

Hi Geoff! Sorry for the late reply, haven´t got a mail about your reply in this thread which is strange.... anywayzzz
No the Fence sits /rests on the MFT top, The INCRA fence has the option to adjust the fence up and down.

Back