Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Charley, CHJ, Noel

By Bluekingfisher
Here is another saw I recently brought back from near death. It is a Disston 6 PPI crosscut saw with a 26" plate. Although in a rough state the plate was good and straight with little pitting. The handle on the other hand had seen some heavy wear. I never really like the " block" shape of the handle so I took the time to reshape it to fit my hand with a little carving for aesthetic.

IMG_3172.JPG

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

The first job was to disassemble the saw, a fairly straight forward process.

IMG_3181.JPG

Getting started in stripping the old finish from the handle, then a little shaping with hand tools to suit my hand.

IMG_3192.JPG

I cleaned the plate with wet and dry paper then buffed it on a polishing wheel. Once done I set about jointing sharpening and setting the teeth.

I managed to miss a tooth on the first pass, (should have gone to Spec Savers) not to worry, move on.

IMG_3183.JPG

I use one of these for assisting with the angles invaluable, can't go wrong.

IMG_3184.JPG

I kept the tooth geometry fairly standard for general cross cutting. A 15 degree rake with 25degrees of fleam.

A little setting and the plate was done.

IMG_3186.JPG

I applied a couple of coats of stain until I achieved a colour I like then applied several coats of an oil/poly mix. I think about 6 or 7 coats. I let the finish "cook for a couple of days then reassembled the saw.
Last edited by Bluekingfisher on 31 Jan 2018, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
By Bluekingfisher
IMG_3191.JPG

The handle looks and feels a lot better, least I think so.

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

I have completed several more saws, more to come.
By Bluekingfisher
Unless the saw plate is particularly warped, bowed, pitted or the teeth are in a particularly poor state the longest part of the refurb is waiting for the coats of finish to dry on the handles. As a result, I had several saws all in various stages of completion. That way I was assembling one, maybe two saws per day.

Below are some photos, unfortunately I did not take any WIP images of these saws although I can say most were in a similar state to the Disston shown earlier.

Here are the entire batch after completion.

IMG_3200.JPG

Ranging in tooth pattern from 4 PPI crosscut to 12 PPI rip cut as below.

IMG_3197.JPG

This one was my grandfathers saw. He died in 1979, it's been hanging on a peg ever since. The teeth were badly shaped so required filing all the way flat to the plate. I kept the original geometry, 6 PPI fil d for cross cut. 15 degree rake with 20 degrees fleam.

IMG_3196.JPG

The saw below was probably a boot fair purchase some years ago. A non branded saw with three saw nuts. It too was 6 pointer filed for cross cut. I reshape the handle and stained it and polished the saw nuts. When I removed the handle I noticed there were four nut holes drilled so I figured I would add a spare medallion I had. I think it looks better with four, rather than three.

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG

Below is a Spear and Jackson 5ppi rip cut saw. This saw really only required a little cleaning and a touch up of the teeth. The saw below is a small 18" saw with 12 PPI filed for rip cut. On the plate the makers name is "Fitchburg Co, Chicago.

IMG_3194.JPG

A final one of them all nestling on the saw till a made for them several years ago. At least now they are all ready should I need them and I have just about every conceivable tooth pattern known, with a couple of spares.

IMG_3201.JPG
Attachments
IMG_3194.JPG
IMG_3197.JPG
By Brandlin
... when needs must!

Dont worry i DO appreciate quality tools, and would never mistreat anything like your saw collection. It made me jealous to see what you have ...
By DBT85
Seeing these old saws come back to life gives me hope that I can do the same to the one I got from my recently departed grandfather's garage. All rusted up but with a nice looking handle and a medallion in there. Only 6ppi I think and there might be a slight kink on the blade, but I've not had a real good look at it yet.