Cubi ft price for sapele.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Brought some sapele from a large local supplier( hymor) and as it happened the chunk I had was about 1cubic ft. The price was £75. On the invoice it said lump sum price?
Does this sound about right.

Just checked and last sapele (2.5" thick) I bought was £1,280 m3 + vat which I just worked out to £43.49 a cubic ft.

Doug

That's £52 a cube vat inc. £23 a cube seems like a lump sum con to me. There the biggest yard around and only a few miles away.Maybe I should start an account see if that helps. It's just when dodgy dealing is the norm you never know where your at. I'll check the price per m3 on the receipt if it's there.
I've avoided before after other dodgy deals but for hardwood no yard really compares.

I’m paying just under £40 a cubic foot for 38mm sawn premium Sapele, it has gone up this year previously it was in the mid thirty pound range depending on thickness.

They did suggest that 3 inch would be more expensive. But it seems a bit ott. I'll open an account see if that gets me past the lump sum price. I usually use a smaller yard who give me great prices and service. (Heath's in leek)
I find the buying experience there great whereas hymor is a bit of a pain tbh.

Doug71":3sb7svn7 said:
Just checked and last sapele (2.5" thick) I bought was £1,280 m3 + vat which I just worked out to £43.49 a cubic ft.

Doug

johnnyb":3sb7svn7 said:
That's £52 a cube vat inc.

Sorry, the £43.49 was the total including vat, it was £36.25 ex vat. That was also delivered from Arnold Laver but I am in the trade and do get quite a bit of stuff from them.

Doug

I may just phone up and ask them why I paid so much and how I can bring my prices more in line with the rest of the country!

Checked my invoice they charged £2100 per cubic m and I had 0.0294m3( about 1cu ft) they even robbed me on the size saying it was 160mm it was consistent 150mm!

I have dealt with Hymor for many years even when they first started and had a yard at Chemical Lane in Middleport.They have always been more than fair with me.Colin has always tried to help me and never ever "robbed" me.I believe Colin has now semi retired but is there on Wednesday I'm sure if you had a word with him he would try to explain why you feel bad about your dealings .As I say I have always been dealt with fairly and I don't like to hear them being bad mouthed.I have no affiliation with Hymor,and I now live in Mansfield not Stoke but I will continue to deal with them because in my opinion they are amongst the best in the area.Regards Kevin.

I'm only bad mouthing them because of my dealings with them. I also dealt with them before they moved. Yes I'm sure they deal fairly with there "mates" but I just want to buy wood at a sensible consistent price. If your saying paying double is the only way for me to buy timber from them then I'll go elsewhere.ill suffer because I'll have to go miles out of my way or not use those red hardwoods.they will not be bothered and carry on as normal. If I hadn't posted on here I would have been blissfully unaware of the price for sapele. What made my suspicious was putting lump sum price on the invoice. I'm sure they will say that's the price we charge and that's really an end to it. Which it is. I haven't been robbed just charged double and I collected. Someone else posting about hymor suggests a flexible pricing policy on the timber yards guide page on this site

I always ask for a lump sum price after sending a detailed cutting list, but I tend to get 3 or 4 different people to quote. Sometimes I go with the cheapest, other times I go with the quickest delivery or perhaps with someone who can supply boards that don't need joining.
If possible try and get at least one other price before just buying. They run a business so have to make money, it's also down to you to make sure you're paying a fair price.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'll try to open an account at lavers and have it delivered as I don't have any alternatives at the moment.
The process is you go into reception. The office guy says get yourself a hi vis and go get your wood. After choosing your plank the yard man takes the sizes back to the office. After 10 mins the guy emerges with in invoice...I suggest at this point if I was to say b#$#0$@s I'm not paying that they wouldn't be happy.

Yes that is th way it's done at Hymor but if you ask the price per cu ft you should have a rough idea of the final price when you measure your selected timber.I always ask the price before getting my hi viz and going to the yard.Give them a cutting lisf and they will give you a fixed price even before your selection.I recently got a fixed price on some 6 inch wide boards and when we got to the stack most of the suitable boards were 8inch still only paid the fixed price.As I said been really fair with me.

Can anyone explain this "lump sum" price term

I buy and always collect from some major suppliers in the SE of the country (Kent, Essex etc) namely Brooks Bros, Blumsoms, JW timber, et al. Prior to collecting I phone round, get a price per cube (be it Ft or metre) and the total I pay is always correct to the price quoted.

Can anyone explain the above term.

Thanks

Lavers do all I need in timber and sheet material. I am a bit out in the sticks so for me to go anywhere to collect my own would waste me at least half a day, they seem happy to deliver for free as long as order is at least about £100 which is easily done these days.

I am guilty of not really checking the prices but they are normally okay going by what I read on here.

With hardwood I sometimes give them a cutting list and they send what I need, I normally say chuck on an extra length as I don't want to be short and will use it at some point.

Only downside is there is often a length of timber among it which I wouldn't have picked if I was sorting it myself, you can send it back but I normally don't unless it's really bad as it always get used for something.

Doug

I'll strike it off my list as I need an alternative and I'm not convinced of there integrity. It's me that suffers though not them. I feel I've got customers, tools, ironmongery, skills and knowledge I'm just still struggling with material suppliers it's quite annoying tbh. And something I need to get past.

katellwood":7glh63cc said:

I buy and always collect from some major suppliers in the SE of the country (Kent, Essex etc) namely Brooks Bros, Blumsoms, JW timber, et al. Prior to collecting I phone round, get a price per cube (be it Ft or metre) and the total I pay is always correct to the price quoted.

Thanks
That's the way I've always placed an order. Send them a list of what you need and they'll send a price through of the total cost. Say for instance I need a lot of 4 inch wide boards, they may only have 7 inch boards so their price might be a tad more as they're allowing it from wider planks. Someone else might have 6 inch boards so their price will reflect this etc etc. If they don't bother checking their stock before giving a lump sum price they might find they're having to send much bigger planks to fulfil the order. When the timber arrives it's just long planks that need ripping and sawing back. It does mean you need quite a big wood rack to store all the offcuts ! The price doesn't change regardless of their stock.
One of my suppliers now offers to cut the timber to size. I guess they gain all the offcuts and can charge a small amount for the service cause it saves hours trying to figure out what sections have been allowed from each plank. Doing it this way there is nothing spare, no chance of gaining a bit extra by squeezing a few more pieces from each plank.

Lump sum - it just means the total price you will pay for all of your timber.
“Overall total”

ColeyS1":1irfy2u4 said:
katellwood":1irfy2u4 said:

Thanks
That's the way I've always placed an order. Send them a list of what you need and they'll send a price through of the total cost. Say for instance I need a lot of 4 inch wide boards, they may only have 7 inch boards so their price might be a tad more as they're allowing it from wider planks. Someone else might have 6 inch boards so their price will reflect this etc etc. If they don't bother checking their stock before giving a lump sum price they might find they're having to send much bigger planks to fulfil the order. When the timber arrives it's just long planks that need ripping and sawing back. It does mean you need quite a big wood rack to store all the offcuts ! The price doesn't change regardless of their stock.
One of my suppliers now offers to cut the timber to size. I guess they gain all the offcuts and can charge a small amount for the service cause it saves hours trying to figure out what sections have been allowed from each plank. Doing it this way there is nothing spare, no chance of gaining a bit extra by squeezing a few more pieces from each plank.

But that’s where all the excitement is! Realising you have enough off cuts to build Noah’s ark. Feeling like it’s YOU that has the better deal! :lol:

Back