Cornish fishermen.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blewitts, they were the pasty people in Truro back in my day.
Apart from Joy Healey. who used to make the very best pasties in Cornwall, despite being from the midlands...

I was once told by someone from Dorset that the devil refused to cross the Tamar from Devon because Cornishwomen would put ANYTHING in a pasty.

phil.p":2du2b5bl said:
I do a very good line in saffron cake ...... :D

We used to get requests from b.i.l in Suffolk for saffron cakes, clotted cream and hogs puddings when anyone visited.

You do realise you're now going to get visitors when we bring our motorhome "doon sooth" :wink:

What are hogs puudings and splits btw?

Splits are soft bread rolls made from a very slightly sweetened,enriched dough, (either egg or milk) - not difficult to bake your own.
Hogs pudding is a cooked white pudding made from pork, the same sort of size as an average black pudding. You eat either just sliced or sliced and fried, usually with breakfast. There are now very few good ones, some are disgusting. Historically we didn't get black pudding - I was well adult before I saw one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hog%27s_pudding

I'm from Dorset but my mother was Cornish, but I'd never heard her mention either.

I've just looked up Hog Pudding and it seems to be similar to White Pudding, but the recipe does vary with some versions including offal. Some say that it could be described as a West Country Haggis. It seems it was/is peculiar to Cornwall and parts of Devon. I can't find reference to splits. I think you'll need a Cornishman to describe that one.

Nigel.

Nigel.

Thanks Phil you learn something every day.

Splits sound my thing but not so sure about the pud especially for breakfast.

Beaten to it.

We have our own peculiarity, the Dorset Knob, which is a hard baked bread the size of a golf ball.

Nigel.

I like the look of that. Might have a go at making some, but with my wife watching her weight having got herself back to a size 8-10, I'll have to eat them all myself.

Nigel.

Lons":9xxq9xns said:
Thanks Phil you learn something every day.

Splits sound my thing but not so sure about the pud especially for breakfast.

Hogs pudding tends to make an appearance at weddings, as a gift for the bride. Can't think why, can you?
hogspudding2.jpg

(I'm struggling to find a decent picture - they tend to be longer and larger than suggested above - must be a trick of perspective)

Cheshirechappie":3mdy07tb said:
Trainee neophyte":3mdy07tb said:
Hogs pudding tends to make an appearance at weddings, as a gift for the bride. Can't think why, can you?

Sliced?!?! :shock:

I know!

Well, it is a wedding! Years of marital brutality, I mean bliss to look forward to. Weirdly there aren't many photos of raw 'ogs pudd'n's, and cooked would be just as bad as sliced, wouldn't it?

phil.p":2yw8n6am said:
Lunch. :D

Yes indeed, that is a Turk wrought iron frying pan you see before you.

Next you'll be telling us you had sky blue and sinkers for breakfast.

(I may be jealous - ignore me).

An old recipe for splits found at Lanhydrock, a N.T. property in Cornwall, from a N.T. baking book -
50gm fresh yeast (20gm dried)
40gm caster sugar
600ml water/milk mixed
900gm white bread flour
1 beaten egg.

I doubt the original was in grammes. :D

Back