cor, what a day!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Malcolm, been so busy with my new toy I havent had a chance to do anything on the bandaaw except rip straight bits of ply. i will get there, one day.

Mike, at the moment its a bog standard 745, no point photographing that. But as always with woodworking tools, its not designed properly so there are a few modifications in the pipeline that might be worth a picture or two. :lol: #-o

sunnybob":1jzrlunz said:
.......Mike, at the moment its a bog standard 745, no point photographing that. But as always with woodworking tools, its not designed properly so there are a few modifications in the pipeline that might be worth a picture or two. :lol: #-o

What, you think we'd actually be looking at the saw? :lol: :lol: :lol: That's not the way it works, Bob. We'd be checking out your workshop, looking for something in the background to make a funny quip about. Come on, you know this. You've been about for a while....... :lol:

What? you think I dont know youll be looking at my workshop? :roll: :roll:

Thats why youre getting no picture, youre not mentally strong enough to see the way I make stuff :shock: :shock:

Mike, as its my thread I dont mind hijacking it :shock:

must be at least a year ago we had quite a discussion about dust collectors. all those initials that I never understood, HVLP HLPV, whatever.

You told me that the system I had could not work and I told you I was completely happy with it. yeah?

Anyway, move on several months and my SIP canister extractor motor died. this was a self contained screamer motor ontop of a metal bin with 4" inlet. i ran it through 62£ pipe and a cyclone and it would suck anything into the pipe, even a wallpaper stripper.
Because it was so loud, instead of buying a replacement motor (mainly because they wanted 75% of the cost of new machine just for the motor) i bought the axminster craft air bag thingy
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-c ... tor-105111

Well, its rubbish. Utterly pathetic compared to the cheaper canister, theres barely any air flow, it cant cope with my lunchbox thicknesser, which the other one did, and can barely suck up dust, let alone chips.

If I could go back and order another motor for the old one i would in an instant.
Just thought I'd let you know. :roll: :roll: :roll:

sunnybob":eax9vhdv said:
Mike, as its my thread I dont mind hijacking it :shock:

must be at least a year ago we had quite a discussion about dust collectors. all those initials that I never understood, HVLP HLPV, whatever.

You told me that the system I had could not work and I told you I was completely happy with it. yeah?.......

Me? Are you sure? I wasn't posting here a year ago.

Man, Ive reached the stage where I'm not sure about much anymore :shock:
I thought it was you, there was another guy Matt involved. i'm not going back looking for it so just treat this as a heads up, DO NOT buy that bag collector unless its dedicated to a scroll saw.
#-o #-o

Good to know. I was thinking of buying one of the extractors as it's more compact (place high up out of the way).

I cant print exactly how bitterly dissappointed I am with this thing on an open forum. It looks great, hung up on the wall, gave me a lot more floor space. It fails miserably at every level.
The very second this thing causes a problem I shall be getting another canister one like I had.
https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-dust-chip-collector.html
maybe sooner if i can. The sip (it has lots of clones) is so much cheaper and 20 times better.
Admittedly it can out noise concorde, and it definitely needs to be put in a sound deadening box, but thats a very small price to pay.

sunnybob":vzk3wgpg said:
Anyway, move on several months and my SIP canister extractor motor died. this was a self contained screamer motor ontop of a metal bin with 4" inlet. i ran it through 62£ pipe and a cyclone and it would suck anything into the pipe, even a wallpaper stripper.
Because it was so loud, instead of buying a replacement motor (mainly because they wanted 75% of the cost of new machine just for the motor) i bought the axminster craft air bag thingy
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-c ... tor-105111

Well, its rubbish. Utterly pathetic compared to the cheaper canister, theres barely any air flow, it cant cope with my lunchbox thicknesser, which the other one did, and can barely suck up dust, let alone chips.

What size hose are you using with the Axminster? And are you using the cyclone with it too?

Pleased to hear you finally found a solution Bob [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My system is 62 mm pipe, only a 4 metre run with 4 blast gate side branches, with a home made cyclone.
The entire system is the same for both types of dust collector.
Both collectors have 100 mm inlets.
We are talking about a direct comparison between the two types of motor.

The first with a small motor that is unbearably noisy, but worked well even clearing the thicknesser through 5 metres of flexible 62 mm hose.
The second has a large fan blower, which although noisy does not require any soundproofing, and just can not cope with any particle larger than sawdust.

Coley,
the 745 is a good (although a bit small for a workshop) saw. The fence is the best piece of engineering I have seen on a woodworking machine, they get full marks for that one.
I've fitted a 260 mm 62 tooth freud blade, which meant I had to grind 4 mm off the inside curve of the riving knife. To quote my TV hero Doug, "it will cut". I've seen laser cut wood showing more damage :shock: =D> =D>

My (so far) only complaint is the dust extraction. How the hell do you get a hose on the blade guard without fouling the wood being cut on the saw? My first attempt ended in complete failure.

And the rear dust port.... :roll: ... I made a neat connection in rigid plastic, connecting the rear to the guard, with flexible hose between the two and the 62 mm main bolted to the mobile base I have fixed it to. It looked good. Then I tried a bevel cut. WTF? I had not realised the rear port swings with the blade #-o

Oh well, it normally takes a couple of test runs to get things exactly right.

sunnybob":2hnxnoi0 said:
My system is 62 mm pipe, only a 4 metre run with 4 blast gate side branches, with a home made cyclone.
The entire system is the same for both types of dust collector.
Both collectors have 100 mm inlets.
We are talking about a direct comparison between the two types of motor.

The first with a small motor that is unbearably noisy, but worked well even clearing the thicknesser through 5 metres of flexible 62 mm hose.
The second has a large fan blower, which although noisy does not require any soundproofing, and just can not cope with any particle larger than sawdust.

The Axminster unit is the wrong tool for the job. HVLP extractor don't cope well with small bore pipes due to the way the work. They work on the basis of air movement rather than vacuum like the SIP. Changing your pipework to 100mm isn't likely to improve things much either because the outlets on your machines are small so will restrict airflow from the outset.

Back