Clydesdale and pony tips wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silversam

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my plans sorted for the Clydesdale and pony project. I have been wanting to attempt this since I first saw it in the pattern book.

I knew I had to wait a while until I had more experience with intarsia work. I feel now capable of tackling it. I know a few of you on here have done this project and some more than once.

I remember reading something about the harness part being overlaid. Does that mean that the harness is not within the body of the horse but over the top of it after the horse is finished.

Will be using silver paint for parts of the harness but what did you use for the ring pieces of the harness. Was thinking of some kind of metal ring.

I should be starting it in a couple of weeks after I finish the one I’m doing now.
Big project for me but I’m looking forward to doing it.
I’ve got western red cedar for the horses body and tulip wood for the white parts. The black parts I will have to paint.

Any tips or advice before I start it .
Andy

Thanks for that Brian. I like the handbag leather idea. I was also thinking about key rings for the round bits.

Thinking about the leather, did you just use it for the long bits or did you use it on the horses head too. Just thinking that there would be a colour difference between them if one was leather and the other wood.

Did you ever try the leather part of the horse,straps made from wood but not thick wood. Just a very thin strip laid over the horse. That was my initial idea.

I have got to get some dark wood for the tails and the bottom part, ploughed field part. I was even thinking of omitting the bottom bit as I think it looks a little bit odd.

Again Thankyou for the reply.

Hi, sorry for my late reply, been away touring in our campervan!

I have made three of these now but I must confess to taking the easier option of not overlaying the leatherwork or metalwork.

I do think that it would look better for it though and keyrings would seem a good solution as they come in all sorts of sizes. I wonder if there may also be items amongst jewellery supplies that might be suitable.

For paint, I used silver and black liquid acrylic.

Regards

Phill

Hi Phil. I remember you mentioned before about the overlay. Did you post a photo of it without the overlay. Does it look ok with the other parts of the harness not connecting to anything.

I’ve got my copies printed and have been cutting the pattern with scissors and this is taking ages. I said to the wife that if it takes this long just to cut the paper pattern into sections imagine how long it’s going to take to cut the wood lol.

I know it’s going to be a long project but it will be worth it.

With regards to the painting I too use acrylics. I will be painting the harness.

Oh, one more thing. When I was cutting out the pattern I noticed that the large horse tail was actually marked as W for white wood but the photo of the finished product in the book the tail is black. Every other one I have seen made has a black tail too. Don’t know if anyone has made one with a white tail. Might look nice.
Andy

Just found the post you did with your horse and you made it with a white tail. Looks good. Also I think I see what you mean with the No inlay. The harness is built into the body so to speak. I wouldn’t have thought that was the easy option but it looks good. Now I have to think which way to go in relation to the harness.

Overlay or not to overlay. That is the question.

Silversam":1vwoh8b3 said:
Just found the post you did with your horse and you made it with a white tail. Looks good.

Ha ha, that's cos I do what I'm told. Either that or cos I have no imagination :(

Also I think I see what you mean with the No inlay. The harness is built into the body so to speak. I wouldn’t have thought that was the easy option but it looks good. Now I have to think which way to go in relation to the harness.

Overlay or not to overlay. That is the question.

I thought the 'embedded' harness would be easier than the overlay. That said, as I haven't done one with an overlay, I can't say with authority.

I'm sure it will work out for you whichever way you go.

Make sure you post us a pic when you've done.

Regards

Phill

Hello again.
I’ve started cutting the project out but came across something that got me wondering.

The horses feet.
Was thinking shall I cut the wriggly bits..hair at the bottom that goes over the hoofs,or should I shape them out with the dremel.

Ponded this for a while and I think I will cut them out and shape them. Not done anything with them yet though. Still pondering.

What did you do Phil and Brian with your Clydesdale.

Andy

Thanks for that Brian. Will try the scrap wood approach and see how it turns out. I’ve got a few burrs so will try some different shapes. I know when I used them before it was a bit tricky trying not to burn the wood.

It’s all good fun though.

Sorry for late reply, I've been away.

I cut both of mine but looking back and reading Brian's comments I agree that shaping might be a better approach and will definitely give that a bash if I make another.

Clamping the piece is a good tip too as it removes the chance of stabbing one's hand with the needle file (not that I've ever done that :roll: ).

Regards

Phill

Claymore wrote, QUOTE: .....try on a bit of scrap wood before ya touch your main bits. UNQUOTE:

VERY good advice there Brian :D

Back