Cleaning bandsaw tyres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-wan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have slowly been tinkering with my new to me sip 14 inch bandsaw.

As I very slowly rotate the wheel I can occasionally see the blade wobble very slightly to side to side. I can also see some deposits of resin and sawdust on the tyres which may correspond to the times when the blade moves slightly one way or the other.

I intend to clean the tyres and see if this makes any difference.

Are the deposits on the tyres are likely cause or aught I to be looking for something else?

I've already come across a few useful resources including the Snodgrass u tube video and Peter Sefton bandsaw setup DVD.

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm sure I have read recommendations on here for meths to clean blades.
I've used white spirit to take v heavy resin deposits off. It worked quickly.
Suggest the same, just maybe check that the rubber or urethane tyre material isn't meant to be affected.
Very badly worn tyres make tracking unreliable, so it must be worth keeping your wheels clean as part of routine maintenance.

Diesel is my weapon of choice for all resin build up.

If the blade is moving back and forward (towards you as you stand to make a cut) then the issue is that the blade has not been welded straight. You need a new blade. When I bought my Felder Bandsaw the Pretigious Felder blade was welded such that it moved 1/4” or 6mm on a 1/2” blade the welded joint was terrible. It was quickly replaced with a Tufsaws blade!!

If the blade is moving laterally to you (towards the fence) then it’s probably build up on the tyres.

Back